When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Roadmaster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Congrats to Greg Clark! (for what remains a mystery)

I am attaching pictures of my bicycle of the month attic winner a Hawthorne "Fastback Sport" depicted here upon request to demonstrate the awesome power of Whink rust remover.
I think it would help uncover the original color, or close to it with this stuff and an abrasive like 0000 steel wool.

Before...didn't know what it was black? burgundy?
DSCF1356.jpg
DSCF1355.jpg

After with Whink
DSCF1371.jpg
DSCF1370.jpg

Ehhh?
Chris

Wow! I bet you were suprised! I am interested in trying this Whink! Altho, I am pretty sure the paint on mine is all gone. It appears to be bare metal..I gotta find this magic stuff!

Get yourself a bottle of rust remover in a brown bottle called "Whink" sold in smaller hardware stores and use it (wearing rubber gloves) and 0000 steel or brass wool.
My fastback sport I just picked up looked similar in shape and hue, and now it is blue...it really removes the ferrous patina quite well.
Wipe it off no more than 20 seconds or so with a terry cloth, but use more sparingly around the white detail.
Chris

I found a bottle of this stuff and tried it. It didn't do much to the surface. I decided to try XX Steel wool.

1-20-12

Friday nite and it's Bike nite! Some Mexican beers, WD40 and Half Man, Half Biscuit on the turntable. It was a good nite. I finally started the rims. I decided to use XX steel wool. After trying XXXX and XXX Steel wool, this was the next up. One pic is the Front rim which was cleaned up compared to the Rear rim which was not done yet. Alot of red was left under the rust. You can still see the pinstripes. In fact, the stripe is more visible than the Red. Another pic is of the Rear hub in pieces and being cleaned. There was so much gunk in the Hub. I still need to polish the plated Hub parts using a Scotchbrite wheel. The other pic is both Wheels cleaned up. I still need to assemble the rear ND hub, oh joy!

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 131
Do my eyes deceive me?

Shwinndoggy is that Manny, Moe and Jack I see in your picture? Love your bike btw!

I'll third that on the black tires. Bike is looking great. Also for cleaning I use the 3M Scotch Brite pads which seem to last longer than steel wool with a product like CLR which is a calcium, lime and rust remover.

Back