When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938-1940 Huffman Twin Flex Thread

-
I'm at about 80% on my monograph but still looking for a few answers. One is the '38 catalog shows many models with the Dayton style chainring yet all '38s I've seen except the "Death Bike" have the typical Huffman ring. Anyone have an original '38 TF with the Dayton ring? V/r Shawn

Dayton Ring

1937daytonssberg6.jpg

Huffman Ring

1937%20firestone%20ss%20green%2013.jpg

Just found one in my archives--Larkin's '38 camelback model has the Dayton style ring. Others?

Last edited:
Here is a badged Davis Flyer I own with a straight bar. The fork is dated 11 8 (November 1938). The Morrow hub has a date code: I2. The frame, fork, and fenders are in very good original paint. I suspect the tank, chain guard (not shown), and rear rack are not original to the bicycle.

The bike has the sweetheart chain ring. Shawn where does the “Dayton” nomenclature originate? I have never heard this term used for this type of chainring. "Dayton" seems a bit problematic as the same chainring was used by Monark on their early Silver King (1934-35, and possibly 1936) models.

15e71d75108eeeb719ca423e77c92b75.jpg

548fc7d8ea4d9746527a4f9674ad7508.jpg

3b173bcdd18114bc2d658def591e8f2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is a badged Davis Flyer I own with a straight bar. The fork is dated 11 8 (November 1938). The Morrow hub has a date code: I2. The frame, fork, and fenders are in very good original paint. I suspect the tank, chain guard (not shown), and rear rack are not original to the bicycle.

The bike has the sweetheart chain ring. Shawn where does the “Dayton” nomenclature originate? I have never heard this term used for this type of chainring. "Dayton" seems a bit problematic as the same chainring was used by Monark on their early Silver King (1934-35, and possibly 1936) models.

View attachment 1042036
View attachment 1042037
View attachment 1042038

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brant in the context of Huffmans that's just how I refer to them but you are right it is confusing and 'sweetheart' is more appropriate. I am about 90% on my monograph--working on the '40 models now. I have a lot of the early questions answered but '40 presents some real challenges. I'll be reaching out to a few people for help as I nail this down. Thanks, Shawn

Definitely a '39 but seems to be a mix of Huffman and Firestone trim. While it has a Firestone badge the paint scheme and guard are Huffman. The serial should clear this up. A Firestone bike will have a xxxx FAH serial number. V/r Shawn
Thanks Shawn. Best I can make out is 558FA.......don't see an H, but it may be there, just painted over or my bad eyesite. The badge isn't original to the bike if I recall, or was missing a rivet. The resto is so/so, the bike a bit of a mutt, and I saw some issues after I bought from a Caber by pictures. He mostly made things right, but buyer beware. I still dig the bike.

My Firestone Fleetwood is a bit of a mutt too. So/so resto, but again a bit Dayton, a bit Firestone in my eyes. The S.N. looks to be H6234. Any thoughts/input?
It was missing some correct parts to be either ( tombstone rear reflector, putter stem, correct Mesinger long spring seat, Clipper speedo I added/swapped etc.) and then I dolled it up a bit with NOS Dual pre-war 6 rib EA's up top. One is a top load, the other a front loader, but they match almost perfect.

These are not perfect resto's or examples, but overall I'm happy with them. Coming up to 40 years collecting and getting rare bikes and parts in Canada can be challenging. I collect too many areas. I'm up to around 24 guitars now....Yikes.... Happy early July 4th Cabers. We had Canada Day July 1.

IMG_2735.JPG

IMG_2753.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3654.JPG

Last edited:
Back