When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938-1940 Huffman Twin Flex Thread

-
I'm curious what the inherent weakness was of this design. Has there been any example pictures of bikes that have failed and where the failure was?

I wonder if Colson knew of this weakness and their introduction of the dual cushioner in 41 was there attempt to compete in this area.

I'm curious what the inherent weakness was of this design. Has there been any example pictures of bikes that have failed and where the failure was?

I wonder if Colson knew of this weakness and their introduction of the dual cushioner in 41 was there attempt to compete in this area.
EDIT: I believe @srfndoc's post was in regards to this sentence in Shawn's first post.

"After the initial debacle of the "Death Bike" design it appears Huffman did a quick re-design and introduced the revision in April '38 as a '39 model."

I think @Freqman1 is referring to the 1st Gen Twinflex, coined the "Deathbike". As far as we know, only one is known to exist.

Colson was late to the game anyway, so not much of a competitor. There are far fewer Colson Dual-Cushioners around than Twin-Flexes.

Last edited:
I think @Freqman1 is referring to the 1st Gen Twinflex, coined the "Deathbike". As far as we know, only one is known to exist.

Colson was late to the game anyway, so not much of a competitor. There are far fewer Colson Dual-Cushioners around than Twin-Flexes.
The second design TFs don't have any real problems if all components are in good shape and the suspension is adjusted properly unless you weigh more than 200 lbs in which case a set of John's springs are a good idea. The first design aka "Death Bike" really wasn't so much a weakness as it was design flaw much like the Monark twin suspension bike. I believe it allowed too much wiggle at the bottom of the fork ends and caused a stability issue. The Colson design really isn't much of a suspension in my opnion.

My read on Shawn’s question, is that he wants to convert a rigid 1940 ladies model Huffman into a Twin Flex model, so he’d like to see some examples of the various ladies model Twin Flexes, to see if there were any variations in the way the components attached?

My read on Shawn’s question, is that he wants to convert a rigid 1940 ladies model Huffman into a Twin Flex model, so he’d like to see some examples of the various ladies model Twin Flexes, to see if there were any variations in the way the components attached?
Actually my request for pics of the girls bare frame pics is for my monograph to illustrate the differences between the '38/9 frame and '40 frame.

Jun 1938 curved bar TF's 2.0

Working on a 1938 Twin Flex and have a few questions.

1. Is there a rubber washer that fits under the springs.
2. The two lower brackets (the red ones) each have 1 threaded hole and 1 non-threaded, does these use a shoulder bolt with nut or all threaded.
3. The rear brackets are missing the lower stop tab, will this make a difference in operation (probable won't be riding it much)
as I believe the weight limit is 200 lbs., slightly over that.
4. Is there a parts breakdown and adjustment literature anywhere.

I hope my questions are not too confusing. THANKS

Back