When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938/39 Hawthorne identification help please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
"What year is that bike??!"
The question I usually hear right after:
"Is that a Schwinn?"
Yup: it's nice to have an answer. Safe to reply: 1938 or 1939, there are no records for these so we don't really know.

"What year is that bike??!"
The question I usually hear right after:
"Is that a Schwinn?"
Yup: it's nice to have an answer. Safe to reply: 1938 or 1939, there are no records for these so we don't really know.

I don't think it's a 1939. The frames are different on them. The top tube and the tube under it where the tank would fit are more curved on the earlier bikes. Click the link I posted in my last reply.

Except this bike isn't a 1937, will bet $1 it's a 1938:

hawthornerollfastgif-1.jpg

I think it is safe to say that 1937 bikes can be identified by 2 features: traditional seatpost bolt, and no ears for drop stand on rear fork ends.
1938 and 1939 bikes have the dropstand stop "ears" on the rear fork ends.

Year is best determined by the frame, not parts that can be switched/added like carriers, cranks/chainrings, etc, especially when dealing with a bike that's been changed around.

Except this bike isn't a 1937, will bet $1 it's a 1938:

hawthornerollfastgif-1.jpg

I think it is safe to say that 1937 bikes can be identified by 2 features: traditional seatpost bolt, and no ears for drop stand on rear fork ends.
1938 and 1939 bikes have the dropstand stop "ears" on the rear fork ends.

Year is best determined by the frame, not parts that can be switched/added like carriers, cranks/chainrings, etc, especially when dealing with a bike that's been changed around.

You sir are correct! Also, 1937 had a slightly different head light and 1939 had a different curve to the frame where the tank might go. So I'm going to say it's a 1938.

This is awesome! I really appreciate all the help.

Back