When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938/39 Hawthorne identification help please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm not planning a full correct restore in it. I just want to tear it apart, repaint it, and make a nice cruiser out of it.

And since that rat stingray has yet but a Schwinn frame of notable intrest, I'd also do the trade for that same reason. hell even if I had no plans to paint it.

Just the probable western flier rims are clean enough to make the Schwinn frame it's equal. lol.

Last edited:
I see curved rods on a Monark built Twin Bar model in the Hawthorne book, but no Snyder images...share?

Can do! This is the only catalog image I've seen that shows a Snyder built twin-bar:

1hW2Zqh-1.jpg

AFAIK those rods are tubular aluminum; they were on the original Snyder/Hawthorne Twin Bar I had a while back.

AFAIK those rods are tubular aluminum; they were on the original Snyder/Hawthorne Twin Bar I had a while back.

This is true, they were aluminum on the twin-bars. So the forks were around in '38 with at least aluminum rods, possibly leading to a steel rod redesign for '39.

This is true, they were aluminum on the twin-bars. Either way, the forks were around in '38 with at least aluminum rods, possibly leading to a steel rod redesign for '39.

Well the Hawthorne "motobike" forks were the same '36-'39, but they used different rods: straight at top 1936-1938, curved for 1939.
Said it before but will say it again: this is what I've observed, and what I don't know could just barely be squeezed into Dodger Stadium.

Last edited:
Ok, so with everything said, what year does everyone think it is?

I brought it home today btw.

20150128_140125-1.jpg

20150128_140132-1.jpg

Last edited:
So is the rear fender peaked like the front?
What is the serial #?

Yes, the rear is peaked just like the front, so I believe it's correct. I'm currently at the airport waiting to pick up my wife, but when I get home I'll send you the serial on here. Thank you so much for your help!

Cool, that # can be compared to bikes that have a known year. But given the bike is known to have been put together (the extent unknown) IMO the parts that are on it can't be used as a reference for dating.

Back