When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938-41 Elgin Twin-Bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
75341_87a1715b303fa5f994d5d3eaa5e50d94.jpeg

Painted the seat parts with some matt black today. Also started clean up on the small components.
75342_903b0ca067d933c9005822ccaab2eb9e.jpeg

Can’t wait to see the progress of the OA bath.

OA work better then expected, the only problem is that it revealed some unwanted things. Two things to be exact, 1st is the fenders ended up being mismatched paint. So I just took them down to bare steel. 2nd is the wheels also ended up being mismatched, I did not notice this because of how rusty they were. I ended up just finding a matching prewar set for sale here on the forum to replace the other set.

And this photo is how the small bits turned out, the OA took the rust away and left a really dull gray color.
View attachment 806808
Painted the seat parts with some matt black today. Also started clean up on the small components.
View attachment 806809

Did a light mock up, and a whole lot of sanding/grinding on the fenders. You can see here that the fenders were missmatched pretty badly.
IMG_0580.JPG

IMG_0586.JPG

Reactions: JLF
My bike has several layers of paint on it, I am considering just soaking the frame in an OA bath I have used, Goof Off Pro Strength, Graffiti Remover, paint thinner and WD-40 with brass and steel wool for hours and have little to show for it I'm trying to bring back the original paint but I guess I will be using Aircraft Remover on all the painted parts, they are all off different bikes and different colors, so I'll have to strip all the parts because my Higgins looks like the Partridge Family bus! Thanks for showing your progress it puts wind in my sails and keeps me going on my own bike!

Aaron

My bike has several layers of paint on it, I am considering just soaking the frame in an OA bath I have used, Goof Off Pro Strength, Graffiti Remover, paint thinner and WD-40 with brass and steel wool for hours and have little to show for it I'm trying to bring back the original paint but I guess I will be using Aircraft Remover on all the painted parts, they are all off different bikes and different colors, so I'll have to strip all the parts because my Higgins looks like the Partridge Family bus! Thanks for showing your progress it puts wind in my sails and keeps me going on my own bike!

Aaron

Glad my bike gives some motivation. Here's some more inspiration, built this last year. Brought it back from the brink of a really bad house paint job.
Might not look like the same bike, but it is. Took over 30 hours to clean, but was totally worth it.
50815_1df1f598a977ed92b3d881c9d500540a.png

56246_c6d47289b89847993ecb0e26efeefd5a.jpg

I'm also inspired. I'm going to have to take a relatively thin, but ugly, layer of paint from my entire '41 Westfield...

IMG_0693[1].JPG

I can't wait to get those awesome dark blue, dark red, and bright white colors and darts out from underneath. What'd you use on pinstripes? Those worry my the most...

I'm also inspired. I'm going to have to take a relatively thin, but ugly, layer of paint from my entire '41 Westfield...

View attachment 808722

I can't wait to get those awesome dark blue, dark red, and bright white colors and darts out from underneath. What'd you use on pinstripes? Those worry my the most...

pinstripes are really hard to save, there not as rugged as the old enamel. I haven't found a good way of saving them yet.

0000 grit steel wool and gasoline is what I use to take rattle can paint off. House paint and vintage spray paint is much tougher, so I use thin layers of cirtistripe to clean that off.

Back