When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Belknap BXL Restoration

-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
Just finished the reassembly of this little lady.

It was a family heirloom and the owner wanted it restored to be given as a Christmas surprise to the granddaughter of the original owner.

The major parts left the shop in May and she just came together over the week-end.

If you like nuts and bolts and before and after pics, here is a link to the restoration album I made for the customer - it is image heavy.

Thanks for looking!

b1.jpg

The best sort of restoration....where love of the bike, or personal significance outweighs
collectibility status!
Beautiful job!

The best sort of restoration....where love of the bike, or personal significance outweighs
collectibility status!
Beautiful job!

Bob,

Your reupholstering of the saddle was the first completed part the owner saw. His comment was, "If the bike comes back near as nice as that, I will be happy". I could not believe it was the same saddle I sent to you - superbe workmanship!

All of your comments are much appreciated as I stand in awe of everything and everyone on this board. I wish I could take credit for the skills that painted and chromed it, those guys are masters of their craft.

I'll share this if I may - on the Sunday it was assembled, the bike took on a life of its own. I became more awestruck as each part was replaced - I did stop and just look at her, I don't usually do that - and when I laced her up, I was in love.

One more aside - the original owner of the bicycle, in her own right a family legend, suffered a major stroke the day after I assembled her bike. It is a bittersweet gift going to her granddaughter but I am glad to have been a part of helping to preserve a tangible part of her legacy.

There are several memorable family stories associated with her and this bicycle - one involving a mule...

Back