1938 BSA folding bike free wheel removal?

Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

shawnatvintagespokes

Finally riding a big boys bike
May 11, 2015
Camas, Washington
Hi, all,
I am restoring a 1938 BSA folding paratrooper bike. I have to remove the whole freewheel assembly to be able to replace spokes. I have the outer part off, which unscrewed clockwise, and now I am trying to remove the inner part. Does anyone know which direction it unscrews and/or have any removal hints?
Thanks.

Shawn

shawnatvintagespokes

May 11, 2015
Camas, Washington
Unfortunately, the notches on the freewheel are about 1.5" apart and I have never seen a freewheel removal with that large of a diameter. If you know of any, that would be great.

rustjunkie

Staff member
Jul 11, 2012
Monrovia, CA 91016
www.rustjunkies.com
If there are any near you: a really good, old bike shop probably has one. Phillips and Villiers freewheels were about that size IIRC. The tool was certainly produced, just gotta find one.

shawnatvintagespokes

May 11, 2015
Camas, Washington
Thought I would update this post with the solution I came up with in case anyone else has the same problem. I live at least 2 hours from a really good old bike shop so I had to be creative. The BSA freewheel has two notches 1 1/4" apart (inside measurement) and the notches are 1/4" wide. I found the Park FR6 tool, which has 4 prongs 1 1/4" apart, and 5/16" wide. I bought one and ground off two of the prongs, ground the prongs so they were a tad less wide, and made the notches in the freewheel a tad wider. It fit and it worked! The freewheel is off!

This ad goes away when you register for an account!