When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Bluebird Deluxe

-

RustyK

I live for the CABE
Bought this earlier in the spring on Ebay and it was a wreck. It was covered in barn paint and mud, and needing some weld repairs on the steering head and the chain guard. Big props to Nickinator and Darcie for their help on this, as my tolerance for projects doesn't go much past the mechanical work. Nick went to town on the thick barn paint with goof off and saved as much of the original finish as possible. Darcie and Nick know a first rate welder who repaired the chain guard and re-brazed the steering head, which had cracked weld repairs. The frame was bent, Fridley Schwinn can straighten anything, and they did great job. The rack needed serious repair, one leg being swiss cheese. Don't have the rack back yet but the repairs are done and it will be on the bike soon! The leaf spring seat needs repair and patina recover when funds allow. The two speed planetary gears are brazed over, most likely they are stripped out. Here's where its at so far...

bluebird 001.jpg
bluebird 003.jpg

Kris

bluebird 001.jpg

bluebird 003.jpg

That has got to be one of the coolest looking heads on a classic bicycle I've ever seen. Hard to imagine it was in the deplorable condition you described it as first being in. Very nice job to all involved in bringing her back.

Dave

I love it!
It kind of reminds me of a dog eared prize fighter who's had a little corner work and is now ready to get back into the ring.

I really love this crusty gem. I laugh and shake my head thinking of how some kids just beat on this thing, not knowing what they had. It's a miracle the tank didn't get ruined, the steering head was completely snapped off at one point, then poorly rewelded. It rides great now!

Kris- looking good! No one will ever mistake that for a boring restored one ;)
I assume you'll be riding it Sunday at Boom Island with us?
- did you ever get the shifter handle from John?

Darcie

Back