When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1938 Elgin Bluebird near original survivor

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Price
$7000 shipped
Zipcode

bicibob

Finally riding a big boys bike
Bike Friends,

I'm building a house and need funds! I've decided it's time to part with my Bluebird. I've owned it since the early 80's when a delinquent type person dragged it in bits and pieces into the bike shop where I worked . At that time (and still,) I was known as being the "old bike collector dude." It was poorly painted over and in pretty rough shape but I recognized it as an Elgin Bluebird. I proceeded to stuff it into a bike box and stored it until about a year ago. Hey, life gets busy and I had a family and career to deal with....

I spent weeks straightening, stripping and re-assembling this rig until it began to look like the Bluebird in the picture above. The only non-original parts to my knowledge are the following:

The saddle, I received the bike with an incorrect post war model.
The rear hub. It came to me with a Morrow, which I've replaced with a finned Musselman-Elgin. The rear rim matched the front, so I'm unclear whether the hub had been replaced at some point or possibly the Morrow was original....?
The rear carrier. I still have the original, but the tail's broken off and missing.
The drop stand. The bike had a crappy Wald kickstand.

Even though a '38 would not have had one, I've added the fender repro ornament, just because. Otherwise, frame-fork, headset, crank-BB, pedals, bars-grips-stem-seatpost-fenders-tank are all original. No rot anywhere. Always thought I would restore this baby someday, but it's time for you to take it to the next level.

Missing items would be the headlight lens and guts. I've inserted a clear plastic lens and a small headlight for grins. Seems this rig would have been a basic, late '38 model which would not have had a chainguard, horn or a speedo. The speedo display would have had an Elgin emblem, which had faded completely. I added the X-Pert logo as a place holder.

Full disclosure: The fork was quite bent, including the steerer. To the point that the front fender contacted the downtube. Being a lifelong backyard mechanic, I was able to convince it back into alignment. It now tracks straight and rides no hands as it should.

I have lots more photos. Including before pix of the ugliest blue housepaint job you've ever seen.

PM with serious interest as I'd love to find a new owner for this classic!

Thanks, Bicibob

IMG_4586.JPG

IMG_4563.JPG

IMG_4302.JPG

IMG_4582.JPG

IMG_4584.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4595.JPG

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4533.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG