When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Robin and a few questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Velolove

On Training Wheels
I recently acquired a 1938 Elgin Robin and I'm trying to determine, and track down, the missing bits. Can someone please tell me: 1) The style of grips the bike should have, 2) If anyone has the chainguard, in the correct color, that I'm missing, 3) Is there anything else that I'm missing? I've seen some of them with a large chrome tail light on the rear fender and some without. There are no mounting holes where one might have been. I've also seen what looks like a tombstone reflector on the bottom of the fender where this one has a small round faceted one. I know the original tires are going to be hard to come by, but if anyone has some Allstate Balloon whitewalls they want to sell or trade, I'll be looking for those as well. Thank you.

elginrobin3-1.jpg

elginrobin5-1.jpg

elginrobin6-1.jpg

elginrobin2-1.jpg

elginrobin7-1.jpg

elginrobin8-1.jpg

elginrobin9-1.jpg

Sorry I can't help you with your missing bits but that is one beautiful bike - good for you!

That thing is GORGEOUS! What's up with all these Robins popping up outta nowhere lately???

Last edited:
Chainguard

Beautiful example in original paint. I don't think this model used a chain guard. I have a early example just like this one in black and cream and it doesn't have a chain guard.

Beautiful example in original paint. I don't think this model used a chain guard. I have a early example just like this one in black and cream and it doesn't have a chain guard.

Good to know! There were no indications that a chainguard had ever been on there--I just assumed. Anything else missing?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I'm a big fan of keeping bikes original and this one makes it easy!

"...I'm a big fan of keeping bikes original and this one makes it easy!"

Indeed it does - please continue to treat is as the nice original specimen that it is.

Headlight & tank

I have seen these with different type of reflectors. Mine has a persons tombstone reflector. I don't know if it was factory equipment or not. If yours doesn't have holes then I would just leave the rear fender aLone.

Can you do me a favor?!?

Please take pictures of the inside of the tank and the head light with the cover off. I'm hopping the guts are still there. I need to wire my bike and it's always great to see examples.

Thanks!

Back