When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Special Ladies Bicycle???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

holly roberts

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

I have finally decided to restore this vintage bicycle. I have been trying to find info about it and from what i can see its a 1938 Elgin Special which was not featured in the Sears catalog (not sure how people knew about it then) Am I at least correct in that fact? This bike belonged to my aunt Joan and it was given to her for her High School graduation. It has been sitting out in the yard ( as you can see) and most if not all of the paint is gone along with several of its original parts. I would like to restore to "new" condition to ride so looking for any help from the experts out there that might have access to original or replica parts. I was able to find what i believe to be the correct handlebar grips on Ebay (basically following the look from pictures) but that's it so far. Can anyone help me with front fender light, rear rack, saddle and kickstand? I would be willing to purchase replica or parts bike if one is out there. I plan to spend this winter totally disassembling and fully cleaning, painting and reassembling for riding next spring 2017.

20140904_180523.jpg

20140904_180530.jpg

20140904_180539.jpg

20140904_180541.jpg

Neat bike Holly, and welcome to The Cabe! :)
Your bike was made for Sears by Westfield, thanks to @MrColumbia you can find the year the frame was made by looking up the serial #, it's on the frame under the crank:
http://www.vintagecolumbiabikes.com/id79.html
It's gonna be really tough to substantially improve this bike. Painting a bicycle is not easy, introduce a second color and pinstripes and then it's even tougher. It'll be pretty expensive too, especially adding in headlight and saddle (this one looks pretty good actually).
You might consider practicing cleaning and overhaul on this bike. You'll gain some experience and end up with a bike that wears her history proudly.
In the meantime keep your eyes out for a similar bike that's in better condition if you want something that's has less "character". ;)

I don't know much about these bikes so I couldn't tell you what's missing or not. As far as age my best guess would be 40's. Somebody here will chim in with a closer age. I like rust and patina.

I think the reason the others are trying to dissuade you is because to truly restore this bike you are in for an easy $2k. By the time you get chrome done, cad plating, seat restored, rack, light, drop/kick stand (depends on year), pedals restored, grips, tires, spokes, etc... and a quality, correct, paint job (don't let the local body shop do this) that's what you are looking at. The bike will be worth about $500 - 600 after you do all this. If money is no object and the sentimental attachment is strong then go for it. If you don't have the money, time, or skills necessary then a careful cleaning (tips can be found on this site) and a good service to put it back on the road are better that an attempt to "make it pretty" which will destroy any collectible value. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Yours looks like a 40/41 to me. I restored this 1940 Elgin Sport model a few years ago, did the paint and body myself, but fenders weren't as bad as yours. My seat was also good. My wheels/hubs had already been restored by PO. I think I spent about $1200 on it, with a few NOS parts, so 2k - 2,500 a good estimate depending on the deals you can get on parts/labor.

Sounds like that one has some sentimental value tho', not too many people have a prewar bike that belonged to a family member. For sure don't let it sit outside anymore. :) Good luck.

Darcie

girl's elgin before.jpg
girl's elgin after.jpg

Last edited:
WOW, so much awesome advise and feedback, this is my first step into forums and I am very impressed. Thanks everyone who replied. The bike does have sentimental value but because its not really rare enough to be worth anything once restored, I wanted to take a stab at trying it myself. If i don't get it in good working/riding condition, with new seat and tires, grips It will still continue to sit with Christmas lights by the tree in my yard. I am going to take your advise and see if I can at least clean it up, remove as much rust as possible, replace grips, tires, seat and give it a ride. I will post pictures as soon as I have completed that task. Don't think i will need a new tank but any other advise on missing parts is greatly appreciated. As well as link to "cleaning" the bike. Thanks EVERYONE! :)

Back