When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Special Ladies Bicycle???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The stem is the hardest part of disassembling an old bike thats been sitting outside. I hope it comes out ok for you- yeah you have to loosen the long nut a couple turns then hit the bolt down with a good smack to loosen it. May need some PB Blaster on that part too. Its one of those things that once you know how to do it you're good, but a bit hard to explain. :) The adjuster screws may need some aggressive wire brushing and oil to remove any rust, so they come out, but sometimes they're not salvageable. We get a lot of parts bikes that have sat outside....Nick does those ones lol.
Darcie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pics. Very "artsy"
Loosen the neck stem bolt and hit it down with a hammer.
The only time its ok to hit your bike with a hammer.
Keep reading. Have fun.
My art studio is doing double duty as a "bike restoration" area ") thanks for all the help. :)

On the screws that hold the back axle: there's 2 nuts that are locked together, get in there with a little wrench and loosen the first one, then the one closest to the axle, then you'll probably be able to turn the long screw with a 1/4" socket.
If something doesn't want to give, try nudging it each way, tight and loose, that often helps free a nut or bolt.
A little tri-flow or penetrating oil on the threads over night or at least just before putting a wrench on something really helps.

A block of wood between the stem binder bolt and hammer might be a good idea too.

Usually on one that I know has been subjected to the elements I spray the crap out of the bike with PB Blaster. Liquid Wrench, or something similar and just let it sit for a week and then get after it. Also please remember that the crank nut and cone as well as the left pedal are reverse threaded so righty-loosy on these. V/r Shawn

@holly roberts :
Are you planning to take the spokes out of the wheels?

Yeah, as rusty as they look, they may be unsafe to ride on. Better check them carefully, if they're loose may be tough to get them true or tightened, or they may be too rusted or brittle ~ don't chance it.
Darcie

Last edited:
Bike Mike, owner of the Dudley Do Right flea market in Dudley, Mass. should be hosting a bicycle swap meet there within the next month. He has re-popped drop center chrome rims (like yours) & spokes. Chances are that you may be able to pick up a lot of what you need from the venders that show up there. Good luck w/ it. Take your time & use plenty of penetrating oil. I think that you may be right on the year.

IMG_20160126_121129_248.jpg
Picture of a stem that is probably similar to yours at the bottom they get rusted stuck inside fork. Soak with pb blaster, sometimes fork also has hole in underside to allow pb in from that direction. After soak install bars for a handle, place fork in something secure loosen bolt tap down then hopefully remove stem with a few twists on bars, cannot overemphasis soak. Find master link on chain and if there is enough slack press inward it comes off toward you. Wheel will then come off. You got lucky on seat post as they often are stuck. Nice old bike show us pics as it comes along. Rick ps scroll through "Project rides" section for examples of bikes brought back without full blown restoration costs.

Last edited:
I wasnt planning on removing the spokes, but was going to clean them up really good and take to bike shop to ensure they are ok to ride on. If they say no then I will have to purchase new ones. :(

From what I can see in the pics I've removed and reused worse. New spokes will stick out like a sore thumb: they'll likely be stainless and not double-butted like the orig. You'll probably be fine cleaning up the wheels w/o removing the spokes. Leave that as a very last resort and you'll be way ahead in time and money.

Back