When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Elgin Special Ladies Bicycle???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think the reason the others are trying to dissuade you is because to truly restore this bike you are in for an easy $2k. By the time you get chrome done, cad plating, seat restored, rack, light, drop/kick stand (depends on year), pedals restored, grips, tires, spokes, etc... and a quality, correct, paint job (don't let the local body shop do this) that's what you are looking at. The bike will be worth about $500 - 600 after you do all this. If money is no object and the sentimental attachment is strong then go for it. If you don't have the money, time, or skills necessary then a careful cleaning (tips can be found on this site) and a good service to put it back on the road are better that an attempt to "make it pretty" which will destroy any collectible value. V/r Shawn
Can you give me the link to the "clean up site" it doesn't seem to be showing here?

There isn't a "clean up site" but you can search in the restoration section for tips on various things such as removing rust, cleaning the paint and chrome, etc... V/r Shawn

Yours looks like a 40/41 to me. I restored this 1940 Elgin Sport model a few years ago, did the paint and body myself, but fenders weren't as bad as yours. My seat was also good. My wheels/hubs had already been restored by PO. I think I spent about $1200 on it, with a few NOS parts, so 2k - 2,500 a good estimate depending on the deals you can get on parts/labor.

Sounds like that one has some sentimental value tho', not too many people have a prewar bike that belonged to a family member. For sure don't let it sit outside anymore. :) Good luck.

Darcie

View attachment 353730 View attachment 353731
Can you help me with some of the items you have replaced on this Elgin, like seat, light, tires? Were they replica new? Did they all come from a single location? Your restoration looks like something I could handle with cleaning up my bike and replacing some missing parts. thanks

Can you help me with some of the items you have replaced on this Elgin, like seat, light, tires? Were they replica new? Did they all come from a single location? Your restoration looks like something I could handle with cleaning up my bike and replacing some missing parts. thanks

Finding missing/better parts is part of the challenge (and fun? lol). Before you replace, see if the old part can be repaired/rechromed, as it may be easier, just as cheap, and then you've kept an original part.

Watch the For Sale ads here, post a Wanted ad (and bump it frequently), message members off their posts and ask for referrals. Check ebay often and save your searches. Call Memory Lane Classics in Ohio 419-832-3040 and see if they have anything (keep checking back as they're always getting more stuff in.)

Do your research- on that model and similar models (and Elgins in general)- so you know what to look for, and you know a decent price. Lots of threads here on Elgins, use the search feature. It will take some time so be patient, it's part of the process and pride of owning a great prewar bike- may not be "rare" to us here, but you definitely don't see them everyday, and I think it's definitely worth preserving, if not restoring. Lastly.... find an old 60's Schwinn for the tree haha.

Darcie

Finding missing/better parts is part of the challenge (and fun? lol). Before you replace, see if the old part can be repaired/rechromed, as it may be easier, just as cheap, and then you've kept an original part.

Watch the For Sale ads here, post a Wanted ad (and bump it frequently), message members off their posts and ask for referrals. Check ebay often and save your searches. Call Memory Lane Classics in Ohio 419-832-3040 and see if they have anything (keep checking back as they're always getting more stuff in.)

Do your research- on that model and similar models (and Elgins in general)- so you know what to look for, and you know a decent price. Lots of threads here on Elgins, use the search feature. It will take some time so be patient, it's part of the process and pride of owning a great prewar bike- may not be "rare" to us here, but you definitely don't see them everyday, and I think it's definitely worth preserving, if not restoring. Lastly.... find an old 60's Schwinn for the tree haha.

Darcie

thanks Darcie,

I will definitely follow your wonderful advise. Just getting used to "forums" so once I get the hang of it I know I will find cool stuff to buy. :) Will post a pic of my restoration for sure!!

thanks Darcie,

I will definitely follow your wonderful advise. Just getting used to "forums" so once I get the hang of it I know I will find cool stuff to buy. :) Will post a pic of my restoration for sure!!

Oh and love the idea of a "new" bike for the tree...maybe an old BMW motorcycle this time. :)

image.jpeg
Cha cha likes it!!

Back