When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Racer, Liberty badged.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
New Worlds had both style rear drop outs depending on year of manufacture Early prewar had the rears. Later prewars had front facing

New Worlds had both style rear drop outs depending on year of manufacture Early prewar had the rears. Later prewars had front facing
They also had rear facing without tensioners/adjusters. Which I believe the Superiors had.

34A6A237-5BC4-4192-B07D-F13245F11DB8.jpeg

Sorry, they did not have two styles of rear drop outs with one being forward and one being "backwards". :rolleyes: A rear drop out is always facing forward and if it doesn't, it's not considered a drop out! There is a reason why the new post war rear fork end was called a drop out. I can't believe how many long time collectors have no idea what's what.

1573104867781.png

What is the letter in your serial number? I can't make it out since someone tried to re stamp it. Looks like the 1940 NW Racer had a rear dropout so yours is earlier with the rear fork end.

1573107165561.png

If the letter is a C, it's probably a 1939 model. Chicago Cycle Supply had special or deleted Schwinn graphics on their pieces so your's is minus the decals. Here's the full on Schwinn decaled 39 NW Racer.

The 39 catalog with specs that match your bike. BB could be upgraded at extra cost.

1573117769787.png

Sorry, they did not have two styles of rear drop outs with one being forward and one being "backwards". :rolleyes: A rear drop out is always facing forward and if it doesn't, it's not considered a drop out! There is a reason why the new post war rear fork end was called a drop out. I can't believe how many long time collectors have no idea what's what.

View attachment 1091814
I stand totally corrected. When I used the word "rear" I was referring to the dropouts on the rear of the frame. I need to be more mindful. Thanks!

Reactions: s1b
I stand totally corrected. When I used the word "rear" I was referring to the dropouts on the rear of the frame. I need to be more mindful. Thanks!
I don’t want to get too far off track here, but........
I agree with GTs58 is pointing out. Yet I think “dropout” has become the standard name.
Much like many people call a wheel, a rim.

A rim is a part of a wheel. Same as spokes and a hub. Those are not a wheel. A bit too early in the morning for me to watch my wording. Maybe I should get on my wheels and go for a ride!

Reactions: s1b
A rim is a part of a wheel. Same as spokes and a hub. Those are not a wheel. A bit too early in the morning for me to watch my wording. Maybe I should get on my wheels and go for a ride!
Not picking. Just pointing out how names start to become normal for certain things they are not.

I call them all dropouts. Why? Because when you call them rear forks, many people get confused.
Remember, it’s a hobby!

Reactions: GTV
:eek:
Not picking. Just pointing out how names start to become normal for certain things they are not.

I call them all dropouts. Why? Because when you call them rear forks, many people get confused.
Remember, it’s a hobby!
And when people call a fork; "forks" that's not simply confusing but dumb too.o_O

Fork is self descriptive as a common noun or pronoun (I'm no English major by far) but "forks require two individual forks. A front fork and rear fork? Buy one get and 1 free?:D Buy 1 get 1,000, a billion? :p

"Definition of fork. (Entry 1 of 2) 1 : an implement with two or more prongs used especially for taking up (as in eating), pitching, or digging. 2 : a forked part, tool, or piece of equipment. 3a : a division into branches or the place where something divides into branches. ";)

>>> Racer smacer, It's White!:hearteyes:
And that forward drop-out set on it, as me learned my ignorance to fact, the hard way right here too, was introduced about 1938 on Schwinn lightweights, so, so, pre or post war can be the case. :cool:

Last edited:
Back