When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Raleigh Gazelle boy racer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Andrew Gorman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
A few weeks ago I went to look at a Raleigh roadster I saw on craigslist- it was only about 5 blocks from the house. It was cheap and it followed me home. Turned out to be a Raleigh Gazelle Safety Roadster from 1938 with a Sturmey Archer AW 3 speed. The cranks were stripped at the pedal ends, and after an extortionate quote from the local bike shop to rethread them, I went ahead and did it myself with the Unior pedal bushing set. It's a great tool and easy to use. If you have stripped 9/16 threads I recommend it highly! The handlebars were really rough on this bike, and removing the silver barn paint revealed mostly rust and peeling chrome. I've been wanting a slack angle road bike and decided to use up what I had on hand. This was a perfect excuse to get a pair of SOMA Lauterwasser bars! Other than a general tune up and clean up all I had to do was make the existing rod brakes work with cables from the drop bars. That was lot easier than I expected. The previous owner kept the dried out and un-useable Brooks saddle (Them things is worth MONEY he sez...) so I put on a B-66 I've been curating for at least 24 years. Took it for a spin yesterday and it works pretty well, I still need to do some adjustments on the brakes but I can see why sportier bikes in the 1930's used calipers. I've been having fun with this one.
boyracer-1.jpg

The paint Raleigh used at this time was pretty amazing- I think it was asphalt based and baked on. It was very dull and the pinstripes were only ghosts. A good rubdown with brasso brought it back to a high shine. I re-did the pinstripes with the trusty Beugler striper. I haven't even waxed it yet.

Back