When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Rollfast BB Bearings Needed

-

Trilobite

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi All, I could use some assistance in sourcing out a replacement set of caged bottom bracket bearings for a 1938 Rollfast. I’m reassembling a friend's bike as a favor for him. The bike was torn down completely with best intentions to restore and stored in boxes in his garage years ago. I’ve methodically been unboxing, cleaning, buffing, etc., but cannot locate the bottom bracket caged bearings. I have the cups, races, dust shields, lock washers, etc., but alas, no bearings. If anyone has a set or can point me in the right direction for replacements, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

0B4F52EF-A978-4830-ADF7-65F8985D1883.jpeg

If it has 10 bearing cages in it now, that's what you need. They are slightly bigger than the 9 bearing and 12 bearing.

The 9 bearing and the 12 bearing are the same size as each other, but smaller than the 10.

The 10 is probably what you have because those fit a majority of American bikes from the 30s to the 70s (and probably beyond), except postwar Schwinn.

10 bearing cages are the exception rather than the rule now, but I'll bet there's some on ebay. Or, if your cages are not damaged you can just pop new balls in them. High grade loose bearings are cheap these days.

Great; thanks all, for your input. I’m not sure what was in there before, as there's no sign of the bearing retainers at all. Going to order 10s and 12s and see what fits. Not entirely sure about the year, as this was what was told to me. I’ll see if I can pull a serial #. Did a full cleaning polish on the frameset, so everything is visible. Also, Evapo-rust soaked and wire-brushed every nut, bolt, and brace. Now, have to figure out spoke length, too, as the wheels are in surprisingly good shape, but two broken spokes. Thanks for your help. 🙏🏻

Great; thanks all, for your input. I’m not sure what was in there before, as there's no sign of the bearing retainers at all. Going to order 10s and 12s and see what fits. Not entirely sure about the year, as this was what was told to me. I’ll see if I can pull a serial #. Did a full cleaning polish on the frameset, so everything is visible. Also, Evapo-rust soaked and wire-brushed every nut, bolt, and brace. Now, have to figure out spoke length, too, as the wheels are in surprisingly good shape, but two broken spokes. Thanks for your help. 🙏🏻
Spokes should be 10 5/8" which should be easy. V/r Shawn

Not too sure about the 9 & 10 fit thing about modern bearing cages; have only read about 9 & 10 differences on an old-English guy’s website. I am familiar with undersized Colson and Westfield bottom brackets, (prior to standardization). Info about obsolete bearings is a few pages into the paper archives thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/p...schematics-non-discussion-thread.70318/page-6

Still learning about this stuff 1/64” at a time.

Last edited:
Back