When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Rollfast BB Bearings Needed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Also, the kickstand should be on the left side and the chain ring sprocket on the right, (unless I am misunderstanding something).
Thanks for the spacer/washer info. 🙏🏻 I'm assuming that all the parts that came in the boxes came off this bike. Many were labeled, but not all, and there are some doubles of things like the head tube badge. It was boxed in pieces probably ten years or so ago, so…
The kickstand nub where it protrudes through the spring/bracket is what contacts the chainring. When both spacers were in, it appeared to have the correct chain line and adequate clearance, but I had them outside the dust shield, not inside in between the shield and race. I’ll try fitting it this way. I feel like a monkey trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. Lol.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Unless your rollfast is has a different BB design than mine, than here pics of how it should look. Shows "outward" side of crank/sprocket (shouldn't need spacers or dust over). "Inward" side has one spacer (1/8" width or so) between sprocket and cone (see pen tip) . That spacer provides after install a 1/8" or so clearance between BB shell edge and sprocket. I think if that space is substantially more or if no space, then common issues are excess spacers, mismatch with cone and bearing cage, mismatched BB cups.

Good luck!

The kickstand nub where it protrudes through the spring/bracket is what contacts the chainring.
I understand now; consider that in 1938 kickstands may have been aftermarket items or perhaps just being introduced as OEM accessories, on some models?
If the kickstand seems to be the cause of the problem, perhaps it should go, replaced by a new 26” Wald kickstand?
[but it must have worked before?]

I agree with using the OEM bottom bracket parts, whenever one can.

Like in the 1st picture in post #22, the right side cone should not leave too-many threads exposed (male or female); about ~1/8” of male threads exposed, (first two pictures in post #16), likely means that a spacing washer is missing.

Last edited:
Hey all, with the assistance of those on this site, everything went back together fairly easily, after a bit of trial and error for chain line spacing and bearing play. There’s a huge benefit to the weight and quality of the metal used on these vintage bikes-the cups and cones polished up extremely well, with zero pitting or indentations. Both bearing assemblies spin smoothly and effortlessly.
Now, to tackle the reassembly of the fenders, etc. to the frameset, and figure out where the various pieces belong, like these two (photo). It’s a fun game I’m sure you’ve all played called, “Where the Heck Does This Thing Go?” (Smile) Thanks again!

628ED11B-CC43-46E8-B610-E047BC5038FF.jpeg

Hey all, with the assistance of those on this site, everything went back together fairly easily, after a bit of trial and error for chain line spacing and bearing play. There’s a huge benefit to the weight and quality of the metal used on these vintage bikes-the cups and cones polished up extremely well, with zero pitting or indentations. Both bearing assemblies spin smoothly and effortlessly.
Now, to tackle the reassembly of the fenders, etc. to the frameset, and figure out where the various pieces belong, like these two (photo). It’s a fun game I’m sure you’ve all played called, “Where the Heck Does This Thing Go?” (Smile) Thanks again!

View attachment 1503994
These look like mounting brackets for the front fenders ... Good luck.. Razin..

View attachment 1503994
Skirtguard spring anchors

Back