When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1938 Shelby Model 70/72 Badging Question

-

FamousCarz

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey Everybody,

Rookie looking for clarity. ;^)
I have what I've been told is a '38 Shelby bicycle.
The head badge is a Gamble Stores Eagle (attached photo) and I also have a Traveler fender badge.
I have almost all of the parts to create what is referred to as a 1938 Model 70 (painted rack/guard) or Model 72 (chrome rack/guard) in THE SHELBY BOOK by John Polizzi.

My questions:
When manufacturing the 1938 Speedline models:
1. Did they have only a fender badge OR did they have badges on both the fender and the head tube?
2. If both, I'm assuming they matched in name, correct?
3. If not on both and only on the fender due to the nose tank covering the head tube badge, were there still holes for the head tube badge, or were the holes never drilled or eliminated?

Thanks for your help!

SHELBY SERIAL#.jpg

SHELBY BADGE.jpg

SHELBY FENDER BADGE.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
On the factory Airflos/Arrows there are no holes in the head tube for a badge. If that is your frame with an N serial? If so that frame is not correct (too early) for an Airflo/Arrow. BTW a Model 72 has aluminum rack/guard and chrome fenders

Last edited:
Back