When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939-1941 CWC Four Gills

-

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Bob Charnley started a thread https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/cleveland-welding-4-gill-bikes.27308/#post-146457 back in 2012 on Four Gills in general. I would like to focus this thread strictly on the '39-41 RMS/Model A aka Four Gill bikes. If you don't know what a Four Gill is, think it is a variety of fish, or think any CWC tank bike might be a Four Gill then please contact me before posting so we can keep this one on track.

If you have additional 1937 RMS info please post here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1937-roadmaster-supreme-bug-eye.57458/

If you have additional 1938 RMS info please post here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1938-y-frame-road-master-supreme-info.35915/

The prewar Cleveland Welding Company Roadmaster Supremes are surprisingly uncommon. The '37 "Bug Eye" and '38 RMS both feature the exotic "Y" frame as well as curved cranks. For 1939 CWC retained the "Four Gill" or "Scimitar" tank introduced on the '38 model but with a more conventional frame and standard straight crank. For 1940 CWC dropped the RMS designation and called the top-of-the-line model the "Model A". The '39 model can be distinguished visually by the fender mount light(s) whereas the '40/41 models had a ball light mount on the fork crown.

So the goal here is to document the '39-41 bikes. I'll start with the ones I know of and past or current owners can chime in with any additional information. I'm pretty sure some of these projects are now restored so if you have serial numbers this will prevent duplication. Thanks, Shawn

First up former 1939 RMS Mark P. bike badged as a Western Flyer. Notice the different rack and dual Persons Reflecto lights. All of these I have seen have been in the rust/cream color combo.
40wf3.jpg

Next another 1939. I'm not sure who owns this bike but looks like a @prewarbikes4sale photo. I question the light arrangement on this bike.
0.jpg

Next a nice original '39 formerly owned by @saladshooter
DSC_4209.JPG

I believe this '39 project may have been restored by Mark W. and is now owned by @auto1cycle2 and is blue and white.
DSCN2550.JPG

This restored '39 WF I believe is currently owned by @whizzer kid
WF2.jpg

This restored '39 I believe owned by @Rambler
1939westernflyer-1.jpg

Not shown is a Ted Lusher restored blue/white '39 possibly still owned by @fordsnake

Restored '40/41 owned by me-- @Freqman1 Has a "H" serial which was late '40/early '41
DSC_0008%20-%20Copy.JPG

A nicely done custom paint '40/41 owned by @Howard Gordon
100_5791.JPG

This Packard badged '41 on Nostalgic.net
1940%20roadmaster%204gill%201.jpg

This '40/41 project @fatbike ? Would like to know if this bike was ever restored
Fatbike 4 gill.jpg

This nice original '40 owned by @JAF/CO
b50cc4719cb6481bf4fd7f9494c9c963.jpg

Bob,
post #1 already has a picture of the restored WF four gill.

The other, although a four gill tank, is the 38 Supreme "Y" frame which has a dedicated thread. Link above on post #1

I believe Shawn wanted to start this thread to document the known 39-41 four gill bikes.

The bare metal WF four gill belongs to Jeff Guyer.

Back