When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 28 inch iver original nickel plated special racer project

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I picked up this Model 90 Iver tall frame truss racer some years back and it has always puzzled me. This bike, like redline68's, shows no sign of any pinstriping, trust the truss decal, or Iver Johnson script on the downtube. My best guess is that some previous owner had the bike plated at some point in time, but I really don't know the answer. Pete in Fitchburg

It may have been part paint over nickel in places perhaps. Popular over here around that time period, don't know on your side of the pond.
I recently stripped the very poor paint off my 70's Romani track bike to discover it is full chrome-plated underneath.
Prior to that, the only chromium visible was on the rear dropouts.
One other thing, would nickel plating not be outdated by 1939 (chrome came in around 10 years prior to that) other than its use as an under layer to the finished chrome?
Perhaps your machine is a little earlier than you think?

Nope it dates to 39 by the serial numbers I thought earlier too... You would think it would be Crome but dealing with polishing nickel in the past I know the difference. I had a 46 schwinns rims where the base for Crome was present no Crome ...it doesn’t polish like nickel plate.... or look the same ...it is strange bike. Also I notice the rake of the fork seems lower but that could be me..
It may have been part paint over nickel in places perhaps. Popular over here around that time period, don't know on your side of the pond.
I recently stripped the very poor paint off my 70's Romani track bike to discover it is full chrome-plated underneath.
Prior to that, the only chromium visible was on the rear dropouts.
One other thing, would nickel plating not be outdated by 1939 (chrome came in around 10 years prior to that) other than its use as an under layer to the finished chrome?
Perhaps your machine is a little earlier than you think?

Back