When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Colson Loopframe?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Boris

Old fat tired rider
So I'm looking at the serial number on this one, and it sure as heck looks like 9F49?4.
Not seeing any of this type of loopframe in the 1939 catalog, and didn think they started marketing these until 1940.
Any thoughts on if this can actually be June of '39?
IMG_5230.JPG

IMG_5232.JPG

We'll have to wait on that. I'll have to get pictures the next time I'm in town. Bike is in storage. So for right now, just wondering if this could be possible/probable.
Just curious about the frame, the rest of the bike has been pieced together. Postwar fork.

Last edited:
Pic of the serial/date stamp?
OK Mike, I got the bike out of storage today and took a couple of shots of the serial number. If you'll notice how the red paint is welling up inside the stamping, that first number sure looks like a "9". That's what Derek thought too when I picked this bike up from him about 10 years ago. We just thought "Cool, it's a 1939". But as I stated in my first post, from everything I've learned since then, I didn't think this style frame came into production until 1940.
I don't want to scrape any more paint that what has already been removed, as I don't want to compromise an already faint stamp. Any input from you or anyone else in the know, would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_5276.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG

Last edited:
Back