When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 DX Schwinn Ace (I think)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

J_Westy

Look Ma, No Hands!
After just barely finishing my klunker tribute (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=570569&highlight=#570569), I really wasn't looking for a project... moreover my wife wasn't looking for me to start another project :D

But you know how things go, and this thing popped up on CL. Misrepresented prewar finds haven't popped up the past year that I've been browsing CL, so I had to check it out ;):

CraigslistAd-1.jpg

I'm still a total freshman on such things, but the price was certainly right and it looked pretty good in his dark garage on a gloomy Michigan afternoon, so I grabbed it.!

So I got her home and checked her out. Obviously it's a mish mash of parts. I really don't know what everything is from. It'll probably make some of you cringe, but like the first klunker, I'll probably part it out (keeping the frame and head badge) in order to partially fund the next steps. The Cabe has always been good to me and I'm of the "pay it forward" mindset, so you guys are more than welcome to first dibs. (Hopefully, I'm not breaking a rule by throwing that out)

Appears to be the classic '39 DX style -- straight down tube and slightly curved mid tube. Top coat appears to be spray painted John Deere green followed by some black and white. Worn to bare metal in many places.

DSC_0121-1.jpg

DSC_0128-1.jpg

DSC_01341-1.jpg

catalog-1.jpg

Serial Number B21178:

DSC_0137-1.jpg

Miraculously the Ace badge is still there in in good shape!

DSC_01361-1.jpg

Rear drop out to accomodate the (missing) drop stand:

DSC_0131-1.jpg

Part 2 of 3

Chain guard appears to be original. Quite straight actually except for a slight tweak at the front mounting location:

P1100846-1.jpg

Nice painted Sweetheart crank with (I'm assuming) newer bow pedals.

DSC_0130-1.jpg

New Departure Model D rear hub. 36 hole. Unmarked painted rim about 1-5/8" wide:

DSC_0123-1.jpg

DSC_0132-1.jpg

Schwinn Scripted front hub. 36 hole. Unmarked painted rim just under 1-1/2" wide:

DSC_0125-1.jpg

Springer front fork. Looks like there was some kind of repair to the left leg?

DSC_0126-1.jpg

DSC_0127-1.jpg

DSC_01351-1.jpg

DSC_01391-1.jpg

Part 3 of 3

Looks like some kind of repair at the head tube and down tube? Hopefully this is repairable to be strong and unnoticeable? What do you guys think? Do you know a trusted welder/brazer in the SE Michigan area?

P1100843-1.jpg

P1100841-1.jpg

P1100844-1.jpg

J_Westy

Oh my!!! She is sweet!! The rear kickstand brackets (on frame) makes it a 1 year only frame, 1936, I believe. Replace pedals, seat and bars you got a winner. Let me know about the frame/forks if you part with them.

Oh my!!! She is sweet!! The rear kickstand brackets (on frame) makes it a 1 year only frame, 1936, I believe.

Thanks! I thought the slight curve to the middle tube (if that's what it's called) meant 1939?

The catalog pic from the trfindley pages that I attached above is from '39

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. I am referring to the tabs near the rear axle for the rear drop kickstand. What Middle tube is curved? I have heard reference to this. :confused:

Confused

I thought '39 was the first year for dx and they are easily identified by their straight down tube. However I am pretty sure they didn't use dropstand tabs on the frame but used a dropstand with built in ears.
Just my 2 cents.

Back