When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

cds2323

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked up this 39 Elgin last month from the daughter of the original owner. Her mother had owned it since it was new. The bike was her pride and joy and she didn't let any one else ride it, including her children. The bike was always kept indoors and was kept in riding condition. The woman passed away a couple of years ago and the family finally decided to let it go. Today the daughter forwarded a picture to me of her mother on the bike. It's great to have a photo of the bike with its original owner.

The bike is a 1939 with aluminum fenders and aluminum front loader light. I don't have a catalog image of this particular model, it's a model number 502-5099. The bike is in excellent shape, all I've done so far is to straighten the front fork. It still needs a good cleaning and overhaul. I also have some Allstate whitewall tires to put on it. Looks like it had them in the original photo.

20190623_185955.jpg

20190623_190035.jpg

Elgin bicycle.jpg

Great bike & provenance, interestingly, I have a Westfield/Elgin version of the same model ?, same color scheme & chrome seat so probably a 38-9 also, probably the same model # ( I'll check ), thought maybe someone robbed the Aluminum light when I saw yours but no holes in the fender and my tank says Special ? so little differences. I think these are a prime example of how in the same year if you lived on the east coast you got a Westfield/Elgin and midwest/west you got a Murry/Elgin like yours, not set in stone tho because of supply and demand. Sorry I don't know/remember any provenance as I bought it 25-30 yrs ago to go with boy aluminum fendered Westfield/Elgin. the catalogs are kinda all over the place, this version shows a Murry & westfield in different models. I the pics ( I haven't looked close at mine in years ) my tank appears a little different shade of blue? and by the catalog mine might be a Westfield built sports model and yours a Murry built complete equipment?, funny the catalog only shows alu fenders on the sports model in 38 & 39?
D982471D-4404-489A-A5F4-CC2E9E38032E.jpeg

8911B1A5-5ECE-4C4E-A29F-F1F5AB77A7EC.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Be it Westfield or Murray, they're all pretty to me. Peaked fender or plain jane, still the Elgins have a soft spot in my very limited spaced, black heart. :] Picked this one up about a year ago locally. Have yet to get to work on her. I want to say 38.
20190703_134055_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Great bike & provenance, interestingly, I have a Westfield/Elgin version of the same model ?, same color scheme & chrome seat so probably a 38-9 also, probably the same model # ( I'll check ), thought maybe someone robbed the Aluminum light when I saw yours but no holes in the fender and my tank says Special ? so little differences. I think these are a prime example of how in the same year if you lived on the east coast you got a Westfield/Elgin and midwest/west you got a Murry/Elgin like yours, not set in stone tho because of supply and demand. Sorry I don't know/remember any provenance as I bought it 25-30 yrs ago to go with boy aluminum fendered Westfield/Elgin. the catalogs are kinda all over the place, this version shows a Murry & westfield in different models. I the pics ( I haven't looked close at mine in years ) my tank appears a little different shade of blue? and by the catalog mine might be a Westfield built sports model and yours a Murry built complete equipment?, funny the catalog only shows alu fenders on the sports model in 38 & 39?View attachment 1030937
View attachment 1030938View attachment 1030944

I like your bike. I think yours is a bit earlier. Yours has the gothic Westfield fenders and mine the ribbed over the fork crown type. Mine looks to be a cross between the Deluxe equipped and the Sports model in this 39 catalog.

20190716_130547~3.jpg

20190615_171446.jpg

The daughter said she has other photos of her mom with the bike. I'll post those if I get them.

Your fenders ( over the fork ) are Murry built only, but all Westfields & some Murry's used regular peaked & round fenders, also many different versions of the catalog and sometime the bike you got was not the same as catalog, there were also other builders, Monark to name one that made Elgins and were never pictured depending on where you lived you might have got. I have also seen a disclaimer that the bike you get might not be same ad pictured.
11D2D0BF-16C8-4697-9E94-6EE66D60DEF6.png

D90B27E4-214E-4257-9AC5-772537732813.jpeg

099E9A63-06A5-42C8-92ED-0835665ED5B2.jpeg

Your fenders ( over the fork ) are Murry built only, but all Westfields & some Murry's used regular peaked & round fenders, also many different versions of the catalog and sometime the bike you got was not the same as catalog, there were also other builders, Monark to name one that made Elgins and were never pictured depending on where you lived you might have got. I have also seen a disclaimer that the bike you get might not be same ad pictured.View attachment 1031292
View attachment 1031293

View attachment 1031294

The over the fork fenders were also used by Westfield. Here's a couple of Westfield bikes with the over the fork fenders (tho not aluminum). The twin series also used this style fender and those frames were made by both Murray and Westfield.

elgin 01.jpg

20160701_200153.jpg

Oh, your right, was always thinking that was just Murry thing because it was shared with the Pacemaker but I guess westfield had to make them for some of their Elgin models?. “Doh” I should have thought about one of my own bikes
8A8EA377-56BD-4CA1-81AF-90969E5C5FDB.jpeg

Last edited:
Back