When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Elgin

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

COB

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have a 1939 Elgin that I acquired from the son of the 88 year old original owner. The bike is a true survivor and I do not want to do a full restoration on it, but rather preserve it as close to original as possible. I am wanting to get some opinions from the experts on just how far I should go with cleaning this bike up and your best methods for doing so. I do not want to do anything to mess this bike up. Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1329.jpg
    DSCN1329.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCN1330.jpg
    DSCN1330.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN1331.jpg
    DSCN1331.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 133
  • DSCN1332.jpg
    DSCN1332.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN1333.jpg
    DSCN1333.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 129
  • DSCN1334.jpg
    DSCN1334.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCN1335.jpg
    DSCN1335.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCN1327.jpg
    DSCN1327.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 147
As you may, or may not know, it is an Elgin Twin 40. A fairly desirable bike but the damage to the head shroud is unfortunate as these are difficult/expensive to find. Regarding cleanup I would tear the bike down completely and clean/service all bearings and the hubs. WD40 and 0000 steel wool on all painted and chrome parts followed by a chrome polish on the plated parts and a high quality wax on the painted parts. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Its a Twin 40 my favorite of the Twin models. I would start by taking off that basket.

Thanks for your input Shawn. Yes, it is a shame about the shroud. I keep looking at the bent-down lip on the right side of it. I am tempted to try to straighten it up but am not sure that is a good idea. I am afraid it might break off due to the type of material that it appears to be made of. Any thoughts on that?

The basket will be coming off. I suspect that was what damaged the shroud to begin with.

Thanks for your input Shawn. Yes, it is a shame about the shroud. I keep looking at the bent-down lip on the right side of it. I am tempted to try to straighten it up but am not sure that is a good idea. I am afraid it might break off due to the type of material that it appears to be made of. Any thoughts on that?

You may want to try to slowly bend it back up with a really large pair of channel locks with a rag around that piece. By chance do you have the piece missing from the right side? If you have all the pieces you may be able to JB Weld/epoxy it back together. Otherwise trying to find an original shroud will be a challenge. These might be reproduced in a resin material which may be an affordable alternative until an original can be found. V/r Shawn

Back