When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Firestone Flying Ace

-
Quick pic of the paint stripped from frame, tank, guard and a bit of the fender.
IMG_20181125_094017554.jpg

IMG_20181125_094309496.jpg

IMG_20181125_094040166.jpg

Please note that my camera favors the red scale of the spectrum. The little original paint left is now actually a sun faded brown. I have a new plan to deal with this turn of events that are pretty much the same as my original plan for this. With a twist. :) It will just be more rat than I had planned, plus I think I can still use the aforementioned rare fender light without looking goofy.
:):) This makes me happy! Now I need to finish paint removal and keep my fingers crossed the edges of the fenders have as much original paint as possible to help make the rest of my intentions for this bike a bit easier.
Thanks again for checking on my progress and I appreciate all the feedback and encouragement!

Quick update!
Wanted to mention a unique feature of this bike. The seatpost binder bolt has a recess to allow the seatpost to be inserted in the seat tube. The seatpost also keeps the bolt from turning while tightening the nut.;)
IMG_20181126_173649712.jpg

Using a regular bolt will not allow the post to be inserted.

The back of the fork crown is stamped 129. This is my first Hufmann machine and not sure what that means. I think I read somewhere on the Cabe that it was the day of the year the bike was assembled? Maybe I'm mistaken but recall it has some meaning.
IMG_20181125_161056291.jpg

IMG_20181125_161017554.jpg

The 9 is kinda hard to see but it's there.

Hmm, let's see, seems like there was one other thing......

Barn paint removal is done!! :):)
IMG_20181126_201439950.jpg

IMG_20181126_201341179.jpg

IMG_20181125_181604385.jpg

I think I may leave the red barn paint on the inside of the chainguard. Really happy the stripes on the rear fender are still pretty much there. The stripes between the ribs on the tank is masking tape to simulate the stripes I'm thinking of to help pull off using the fender light I have in mind.;) Going to dry brush those stripes and the front fender stripes to match the rear. Then just need to dig out a wheelset for a quick mock up to put my mind at ease. Thanks again for stopping by!!

Last edited:
Mr. Monkeyarms do you happen to ride with Blu and the OBC crew? Because I know Blu has a bike like yours and I think the badge is the same. I like the old aircraft badges, pretty cool. I like your dry brush idea on the striping that's missing. Looking good man!

Sean

Mr. Monkeyarms do you happen to ride with Blu and the OBC crew? Because I know Blu has a bike like yours and I think the badge is the same. I like the old aircraft badges, pretty cool. I like your dry brush idea on the striping that's missing. Looking good man!

Sean

Thanks Sean! Yeah, Blu is a good friend and has one of these bikes. I try to make it to as many OBC rides as possible. Great bunch of guys with some cool bikes and we have a good time in our monthly rides! :cool: Thank you for your comments!

Eric

I think I like the barn red left on the inside of the chainguard too. Maybe why is, theme and variation? I dunno, but it seems to work.
Good job!

Thank you Boris! I'm liking it myself. A reminder of what this bike looked like when I started the nightmare of removing all that barn paint and a part of the bikes history. Plus it should match the custom reflector I need!!(if you have any left);)

Back