When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Hawthorne Twinbar Zep

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think his frame is still involved in this thread. But I think I found a thread that may help answer our questions

http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/hawthorne-comet-reference-thread.31512/

Great info there. Thanks for posting the link. Phil was always a welcome wealth of knowledge & dearly missed...
Yes, that thread does indeed help with bairdco's bike, Nick's bike, Jeff'd(39zep's),etc. Not so much the other Hawthorne Twin Bar frames that have been posted above.

The "Zep" was designated as Montgomery Ward's top end model in the catalogue.
By request , here's mine I scored from craiglist locally with one crappy cell phone picture not long after I got in the hobby . 450.00 later it was in my van, but priceless being local.
There is a factory tank cutout for the two speed but I haven't figured out yet how the wraparound chainguard fits a 12-tooth sprocket...
Chris

image.jpeg

The crusty one I thought was a monark is a completely different frame. Straight rear triangle, different downtubes. Looks like I'm wrong about the bb, though.

Both bikes posted by jarod24 are completely different than mine. Big obvious clue is the straight downtubes. Cwc or snyder, doesn't matter, no the same bikes.

Mine has the straight fender stay, swoopy rear end, and a CWC type serial number.

I don't mind this thread going off on different twinbars, but if it's obviously not the same frame as mine, there's a bunch of other threads devoted to twinbars of other makers and styles.

I just wanna get the damn thing rideable. :)

Last edited:
Post 'em up if you have pics!

On a side note, for a company called "Cleveland Welding," they're really lousy at brazing:

View attachment 312109

I had to repair the missing chunks (that are now rattling around in the tubes.)
I've owned 26 Cleveland Welding bikes and have never seen that kind of work. I'm very suspicious about how that joint got that way.

I've owned four. The seat post clamp always has a ton of crap all over it to hold it to the frame, I've had bubbles in the brazing, and brazing spatter all around the tubes.

Maybe the reason they only made the twinbar zep one year was because all their experienced brazers quit and they hired a bunch of drunks.

The crusty one I thought was a monark is a completely different frame. Straight rear triangle, different downtubes. Looks like I'm wrong about the bb, though.

Both bikes posted by jarod24 are completely different than mine. Big obvious clue is the straight downtubes. Cwc or snyder, doesn't matter, no the same bikes.

Mine has the straight fender stay, swoopy rear end, and a CWC type serial number.

I don't mind this thread going off on different twinbars, but if it's obviously not the same frame as mine, there's a bunch of other threads devoted to twinbars of other makers and styles.

I just wanna get the damn thing rideable. :)
Is this twin bar frame style a one year only frame.
20170318_135132.jpg
20170318_135132.jpg

Can't believe it's been a year since I started messing with this thing.

It's going back to my buddy who came back from Belize a few months back, and he finally decided he didn't want to pay for the chrome, so the rusty stuff got a quick "polish," and he'll take care of chroming it in the future.

It's a pretty amateur restoration, or, low budget, since finding and buying undented parts is expensive and almost impossible.

I also suck at pinstriping. I mask them out and spray paint them, and they always bleed. One of these days I'll learn to do it freehand.

Anyway, here it sits as of today...

20170420_142649.jpg

Back