When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Hawthorne Zep Twin Bar CWC vs Snyder

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
CWC. Steel
Snyder Aluminum
Not to mix the two....but this is also the case with HTB bikes.
1575581075895.png

Okay! Here goes...Pics may not be in order. I am not an expert, just experienced. As we know bikes original equipment can be tricky, especially this bike. One year only, two manufacturers.
Truss Rods. Snyder used aluminum bars, but also used two sizes of truss plates. On Jerry Peters red one you can see how far his plate sticks out. Other Snyders used a shorter plate more compact plate. CWC truss bars were chrome steel and used the longer truss plate.
Sprocket. Snyder uses the 8 hole teardrop. CWC same but also the saw tooth sprocket on I think the later versions.
Fenders we talked about, pictured is the straight rear Snyder.
Fender braces on the Snyder had a slight curve, CWC more rounded braces and I believe the early CWC had the riveted gathering plate at the axle. See the tank version in the ad.
Snyder used the dust cover version of the sprocket and head tube hardware. CWC more standard hardware. In same pics you can see Snyder used a "butted" tube attachment point. CWC more standard.
Paint. Snyder bobbed the lower tank tube graphic, CWC finished the dart graphic on the lower tank tube.
Snyder rack had the curved attachment bracket on some, I don't think all, CWC standard eyelets.
Snyder rear frame gussets (rear axle) different shapes. CWC more square on top, Snyder more rounded.
I've seen some differences in the goosenecks, but nothing I can put my finger on other than most came with the three stripe deluxe stem.
Standard colors were black, red and blue. By far more black versions still exist. Within the last year or two I have seen the Green/green Snyder(was Nickinators, now JAF/CO's) and my CWC frame was originally wheat. Hard to say if one company offered more colors than the other, just uber rare bikes.
I think thats all I have. I welcome input or pics. What I have is not gospel, just observations. THANKS!

Last edited:
Looks like CWC has the two tone fender pinstripes that started on deluxe/supreme bikes in 39 vs Snyder single color pinstripes. :oops:

Last edited:
Back