When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Iver Johnson tricycle restoration

-

Frank Rizzo

Look Ma, No Hands!
I am restoring a 1939 Iver J tricycle and I was wondering if any one had any of the Persons rear axle rubber caps. see pic's
Mine are super brittle. Or a substitute that would work. The cap is 2" , looks like a tiny toilet plunger.
Also, this one has the metal rear tool bag, that had a leather flap, does any one have a picture of the correct fastener to secure the flap, mine is MIA.

Any Ideas on solid rubber tires 15" and 21"

Many Thanks

Attachments

• iver trike cap 1.jpg
    iver trike cap 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 125
  • iver cap 2.jpg
    iver cap 2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 121
Tool Bag Latch

Hi Frank,
I believe I have the same toolbag on a childrens sidewalk/juniorcycle. Maybe there's a Cabe member out there that has an Iver toolbag that is in such a sad state of repair that this part could be made available? Pete in Fitchburg
DSC02880.jpg
DSC02882.jpg
DSC02883.jpg
DSC02886.jpg
DSC02888.jpg
DSC02889.jpg

Bag

Hi,
You nailed it, that is the same bag, It looks to be a Persons type bag, with that type of fastener. I can work with that.
You have solved my mystery.

Many Thanks for the pic's and your time.

Iver Trike

Will do , I should be getting my re chromed parts from the chroming shop soon, I still have to get the paint done, just waiting for a bit warmer weather .

Thanks

Will do , I should be getting my re chromed parts from the chroming shop soon, I still have to get the paint done, just waiting for a bit warmer weather .

Thanks

Wow...sounds like you're doing a first class restoration on your little Iver. Can't wait to see how she turns out! That's interesting about the rear wheel rubber caps. Those are the first caps I've ever seen or heard of on trikes from that era that were made from rubber. There are some youtube videos showing how to cast small parts out of different materials. Perhaps you could clean up the surfaces on one cap to make a good mold from and cast new caps from urethane rubber compound.

Dave

Thanks

Cool post some pics of your parts when they come in. Would love to see the progress as it happens.

Iver Trike progress

Here are some pics of the seat/tool bag, and items I had chromed, I did not chrome all .
The seats were originally sewn on the edges, but hard to find any one to do that, so I made my own inner pan, as seen on many vintage bicycle seats. It worked very well and still looks vintage. I use Veg tanned leather, and hand dye the leather.

Its coming together well.

I will post more pics, as I get them done.

Cheers

Attachments

• iver seat 1.jpg
    iver seat 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 148
  • iver seat 4.jpg
    iver seat 4.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 138
  • iver seat 5.jpg
    iver seat 5.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 131
  • iver seat 6.jpg
    iver seat 6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 134
  • iver chrome 1.jpg
    iver chrome 1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 144
Great job on your seat. Parts look really nice too!
Thanks for the update can't wait to see more progress :cool:

NICE ! That looks great . One vehicle I haven't finished yet , makes me excited to see your progress . What color are you going with ? What size wheels on this one ? . Please keep us posted .

Scott

Back