When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Ladies Hercules

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Interesting. So then if you put one on a Hercules, you'd have to replace the headset there because would the Hercules then not match at 24tpi? I've owned several old Hercules bikes over the years and they all had the stock, solid shoulder type Hercules fork.
Yes, I guess you would.
I guess we'll have to ask @jimbo53 to unscrew that top nut and cover and get his thread gauge out and solve the mystery once and for all, lol.

In fact most of the 'Phillips' fork offerings were 26tpi.....
Screenshot_20220224-220745_Chrome.jpg

...and some of these were at 30tpi in 31/32" (for head clip type), but the two offered for heavy duty carriers ( the two shown here far right) were their only two models offered at 24 tpi.....
Screenshot_20220224-220740_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I guess you would.
I guess we'll have to ask @jimbo53 to unscrew that top nut and cover and get his thread gauge out and solve the mystery once and for all, lol.
I haven't had the chance to break down the bike for a refurb yet, but will measure the tpi and post back later.

In fact most of the 'Phillips' fork offerings were 26tpi.....
View attachment 1576804

...and some of these were at 30tpi in 31/32" (for head clip type), but the two offered for heavy duty carriers ( the two shown here far right) were their only two models offered at 24 tpi.....
View attachment 1576805
On this page is where I found the front fork that's on my bike. Its the 231 Super Club model. Also the way I figured my bike isn't made of 531. Notice how three other forks on that page are denoted as 531, whereas mine isn't. Still of an early Chro-Mo alloy but not 531. I cant see a company putting a non-531 fork on a 531 frame if it was available so....
Bobs your Uncle.
We also had a bike show up a while back with questions as to its maker that was sporting that #270 Philrace fork. The Oval cut in the head cap is Phillips mark for the Philrace fork I guess. They were also selling Philrace frames and perhaps that was a Phillips kit bike.
Knowing that Phillips made bike kits and specialty racing fitments separately we have to imagine we will run across a few of them as time lingers.
All of these companies playing off each other in the 20's through the 50's, and bunched together in B-ham the way they were, makes for a distinctive Birmingham "style" of bike.

It seems to me that Hercules bikes fall in to this category also and the unusual head arrangement and flair of the bars, sets Jimbo's bike apart.
In the old days, a manufacturers best, most stylish and just plain coolest items were generally intended for domestic consumption. That was definitely one of their higher end export offerings.
The more I look at it the more I like it.

Back