1939 Mead Ranger Original Paint Masterpiece

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

hzqw2l

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jun 3, 2007
Michigan. United States
Well there has been a bit of discussion of this bike and I was waiting to debut it at the Ann Arbor show in it's "As Found" condition. I have not wiped or cleaned anything on the bike since it arrived last Thursday from the Auction in Massachusetts.
In my opinion it really is "original and untouched" as the auctioneer had described it in the auction listing.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? The Japan tires are not original. V/r Shawn

hzqw2l

Jun 3, 2007
Michigan. United States
Real nice bike whether it is touched or untouched. Its a keeper!
Thanks. The untouched comment was what the auctioneer put in their ad.

I Agree that yes it has a Westfield guard and a 3-speed setup not typical to a Schwinn built bike.

Was this a custom order? Was Mead at the end of their production run and threw together a bike with parts left over in a parts bin?

Who knows.... If you can find someone that worked for Mead in 1939 then we would know.
I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? V/r Shawn

If you look at the auction photos it appears the wiped the rear hub to see the date stamps.

That's why I took the pictures. I wanted a record in case I decide to clean it. Right now I'm holding off.

Kickstand3

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
May 16, 2014
Grapevine Tx
Thanks. The untouched comment was what the auctioneer put in their ad.

I Agree that yes it has a Westfield guard and a 3-speed setup not typical to a Schwinn built bike.

Was this a custom order? Was Mead at the end of their production run and threw together a bike with parts left over in a parts bin?

Who knows.... If you can find someone that worked for Mead in 1939 then we would know.

If you look at the auction photos it appears the wiped the rear hub to see the date stamps.

That's why I took the pictures. I wanted a record in case I decide to clean it. Right now I'm holding off.
I’m not really versed in these bikes, but I would have bought it also , even questioning the guard . It’s beautiful ! It’s looks like it was in the monies also . Enjoy the Ride Sir

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

hzqw2l

Jun 3, 2007
Michigan. United States
I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? The Japan tires are not original. V/r Shawn
Yeah. Date coded the tires to 1966 so they were obviously replaced.

I commented on the other thread by accident but the rear hub was wiped in the pictures on the auction site.

So you're right on the untouched. It's just a dirty old bike :)

SJ_BIKER

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Mar 4, 2010
Hollister CA
seems to be a touched up rollin roadsta...,but like ranga style!!

Reactions: Nashman

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
check the frame area where the guard mounts and see if there's any evidence of other 'clamp' marks or scars in the frame
tubing where another guard could have been mounted originally.
I think being that it's a Ranger sold bike, the guard could have came on the bike as a factory install being that they were
also selling Westfield bikes as Ranger....maybe ran out of guards.
Bike is a 41....war time approaching....maybe ran out of Schwinn guards?
Bike is so damn cool Wow!

hzqw2l

Jun 3, 2007
Michigan. United States
Hello Bob,

Thanks

I looked it over really well. There are no scratches indicating any other type of guard was ever installed.

It has a B-serial number.

I'm tempted to store it until next year and roll it uncleaned to Ann Arbor....

SN.jpg

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I'm not saying its impossible especially with a Mead. Like Bob says they were putting together Schwinn stuff and Westfield stuff so this could be an anomaly, promotional model, special order? It would be nice to have a piece of literature to validate it though. Just curious what is the date code on the SA? V/r Shawn

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!