When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Mead Ranger Original Paint Masterpiece

-
I question why those SA hubs seem to have more shiine than the rest of the chrome. I think at some point, and maybe back in the day, some liberties were taken. I, too, doubt the Westfield guard came on that bike. Has anyone ever seen a Schwinn Mead with that guard? The Japan tires are not original. V/r Shawn

Yeah. Date coded the tires to 1966 so they were obviously replaced.

I commented on the other thread by accident but the rear hub was wiped in the pictures on the auction site.

So you're right on the untouched. It's just a dirty old bike :)

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! DANGER!!!!! the robot would say.... ( old Lost in Space quote) There is no stem/gooseneck bolt so steering will be YIKES!!!!! Non existant!! I LOVE THE BIKE LUCKY YOU!!

Last edited:
check the frame area where the guard mounts and see if there's any evidence of other 'clamp' marks or scars in the frame
tubing where another guard could have been mounted originally.
I think being that it's a Ranger sold bike, the guard could have came on the bike as a factory install being that they were
also selling Westfield bikes as Ranger....maybe ran out of guards.
Bike is a 41....war time approaching....maybe ran out of Schwinn guards?
Bike is so damn cool Wow!

Hello Bob,

Thanks

I looked it over really well. There are no scratches indicating any other type of guard was ever installed.

It has a B-serial number.

I'm tempted to store it until next year and roll it uncleaned to Ann Arbor....

SN.jpg

I'm not saying its impossible especially with a Mead. Like Bob says they were putting together Schwinn stuff and Westfield stuff so this could be an anomaly, promotional model, special order? It would be nice to have a piece of literature to validate it though. Just curious what is the date code on the SA? V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Back