When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 schwinn spitfire

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wow thats wild information to see! Crazy that they had such a low opinion of this model that they wont even guarantee it or throw on a seal of approval.
On the flip side though. considering history and how the collector market goes, it almost makes it a cooler bike to just own at least to show future generations. I wonder what the production numbers look like on it considering their lack of desire in moving the model.

Apparently built a half century ahead of its time.

The draw to get somebody into dealer 50 years later 1991: "Hey Mr. Dealer, that's not a Schwinn rear carrier rack! It's not made by Schwinn and probably foreign made." It does not have a Schwinn decal, seal of quality or any catalog too! It's a Fake!

Dealer: "Yes, of course you're correct, we just put it there to get U in the door. Let me show you the new lines of rust bucket China made Schwinn's. They are designed to degenerate quicker than that old junk."

1941 Slogan: 'Schwinn 50 years of progress'
😖

Last edited:
I think it is a great looking bicycle, rack and all. I also see almost all normal Schwinn parts, maybe a few years out of date. It is tough to imagine how it could be a bad bicycle. The cream color on chainguard was a poor choice IMHO, the bike posted with the red one did look better.

I wonder why they put a chainguard on it at all if it was the cheapest model? A whole lot of boys bikes in the prewar era didn't have them.

Wow thats wild information to see! Crazy that they had such a low opinion of this model that they wont even guarantee it or throw on a seal of approval.
On the flip side though. considering history and how the collector market goes, it almost makes it a cooler bike to just own at least to show future generations. I wonder what the production numbers look like on it considering their lack of desire in moving the model.
Ya gotta figure that; If Z model had no marker, no warranty, guarantee or seal of quality, "not for sale, display only" then it's a serious PO Crap. Welding is scrap, paint is spit, everything is is pure garbage, not fit for actual rider.

It's a back to the future' 'made in china' or hangover, drunk Monday's, ride at your own risk' special.

That has got to be the dumbest Schwinn marketing department Idea ever! 'After the crap lures em in, lead em away to the real stuff? It must be missing attached bells, whistles and flashing lights. Salesmen watching for people with "Stupid, stupid" flashing on forehead, passing by. "Oh that's our junk, not for sale, please step in to view similar junk" ???

WTF! ☠️

Alternatively, spit, today, jeez, no serious pre-war Schwinn collector could be without 1. Ka Ching !!! 😍

Stupid tactics but I bet it worked.

I want Schwinns so I can sell them to those of you who still love them No Matter what. 🤣

I'll bet by the fall of 1940 and the end of the Battle Of Britain any kid with a bike badged Sptifire was the envy of his friends regardless of how well or badly they were made. By the end of that summer Spitfires were a legend, it would be interesting to know how well they sold that Christmas Season. I can just see kids riding those in their aviator helmet and goggles like one character wears in A Christmas Story.

I think it's cool. It's like some of the "Plain Jane", mid 60's Fords I had. No back up lights,side view morror, color keyed steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps, rubber matting and under the hood... a fire breathing 200 straight 6 cylinder, coupled to a 3 speed standard transmission. Oh yeah, with a "3 on the tree" and an unsynchronized first gear! At different times, I owned a '64 Fairlane wagon, a '64 two door Comet and a '63 Ford Ranch wagon. To me, this bike is the '30's Schwinn version of these.

Nice! I cleaned up/rebuilt my buddy Glenn’s 40 a couple years ago.

F9868588-2F9E-4587-A62B-5FD6741609E5.jpeg

Back