When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Shelby Flyer - track bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dperry

Look Ma, No Hands!
Is this a Shelby Flyer track bike?

Shelby is known for cruiser and roadster bikes, so I’m surprised there was a track racing model. A bike like this suggests that Shelby had a racing interest, so I’m seeking any clues if there was a Shelby-sponsored bike racing team.

I got this as crusty barn find with petrified white-wall tires that was all-of-one-piece. After stripping and cleaning, I found a steel track frame with pointy lugs, a head tube with integrated headset cups, and pencil-thin 9.5mm diameter seat stays with open-air tops at seat cluster. These combine with thick chain stays and fork blades. The bottom bracket shell has a Partridges grease port. Stamped on the bottom of shell are numbers 22-12-39. If that’s when it was made, this Tuesday, December 22, 2020, will be its 81st birthday.

The parts are also from the same period. The Williams inch-pitch crankset has date code AA (1939), same as the 25-tooth chainwheel, and the Phillips quill pedals with Jef Scherens toe clips. Wheels are 28 x 1 1/2 in., with a wood rim cross-3 on front, and steel-clad wood-core rim cross-4 in back. The rear hub is a New Departure Model BRX, small flange, with 8-tooth sprocket. The Schwinn adjustable stem with dural clamp has track drop handlebars. Also there’s a customized cut-away leather saddle, I’m guessing a Mansfield. Only the toe straps are replaced.

Thanks for any comments,
Dave Perry

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-rs.JPG

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-ht.JPG

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-bb3.JPG

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-hd2.JPG

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-sa.JPG

shelby-flyer-1939-TKDP-hur.JPG

I'll be following this post out of curiosity and my general interest in old track iron. very cool bike with nice period parts. I'm sure Shelby had it's racer, they all did mead, iver, pierce etc. that said it looks really refined , thin open stays, nice lugs for the amateur racer most of these companies churned out. I know pierce and iver made some pretty nice race bikes. I hope you didn't strip crusty original paint

LOL when I read the title I thought " yep another gas pipe road bike" but wow am I surprised the stance of that frame and the lug work - a real race bike =cold have come out of a good local shop that sold Shelby bikes and built their own custom racing bikes . very nice

Back