When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Westfield built Victory Bicycles D98 with 3-speed

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Looking at the underside of this saddle I noticed a second piece of leather about the size of the top surface. I have treated Brooks saddles with their Proofide treatment on the underside of the saddle and those were single layered leather. How would you recommend treating this Persons saddle? Thanks for any advice.

Are you sure there's no trace of the stamp? I thought I saw it on the photos of the left side of the bike. Could be my imagination, of course.

It's hard to say what's the best thing to do with a saddle in this condition. The leather has deteriorated, and you can't know how much strength it has until you exceed its strength and it tears. There is nothing you can do that will rejuvenate it or strengthen it. If it were really hard, you might want to soften it, but it looks fairly soft already so I doubt that's what you want. I presume you're not planning to ride it much, right? And when you do, you'll be wearing normal clothes, not lycra cycling shorts etc? If that's the case, I would definitely not put any of the greasy or waxy stuff that's normally recommended for a leather saddle; it'll just make a mess on your pants. A little bit of neatsfoot oil would do no harm, it'll just get absorbed and disappear, but even so, I doubt it will do much good.

If I were going to ride it, I would cut a piece of firm foam --I'm thinking of the kind of foam used for flotation-- and stuff it between the leather and the top rails. Enough foam that when you sit on it, your weight is transferred directly to the rails, rather than supported by the leather. If you do this, take some time to cut the foam so it doesn't distort the shape of the leather; it should neatly take up all the interior space, but no more. Another way to do the same thing is to take the really thin foam, like the kind of sheet foam that a new electrical appliance (computer monitor, microwave oven, TV) comes wrapped in; and fold it up into a triangle of the right size, and stuff that under the leather. Am I making sense?

Thanks for the tips on the saddle. I'm a casual rider mostly so I might consider trimming a piece of foam to fit between the rails and the leather. I may also put on a different saddle if I end up riding this beauty more often. I appreciate the advice.
Double checked for any traces of stamping. Still nothing.
Edit: Just triple checked, by George it's there! On the left side. The shield can be seen. Pics later. Great eye rhm!

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

Thanks for pointing this one out to me. (-:

D141439, F10. As you've probably worked out, an October 1939 frame. I have listed very few surviving 1939 frame numbers, so I'm happy to see this one., and what a nice international piece. As someone said above, the original owner knew what he wanted.

The french derailleur Rota was made just down the road from me by Victor Simon in Lyon. Breveté SGDG means Patented, and here are the patents:

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Documents_-_Rota.html

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi Bob,

Thanks for pointing this one out to me. (-:

D141439, F10. As you've probably worked out, an October 1939 frame. I have listed very few surviving 1939 frame numbers, so I'm happy to see this one., and what a nice international piece. As someone said above, the original owner knew what he wanted.

The french derailleur Rota was made just down the road from me by Victor Simon in Lyon. Breveté SGDG means Patented, and here are the patents:

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Documents_-_Rota.html

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thanks for the information. Glad to be able to add to your findings. This project is still in the hopper. I'm thinking I'll probably be getting to it sometime this summer as I have a few more to rejuvenate ahead of it. The next project I'm looking forward to will be a ration-era Elgin lightweight and I'll be sure to post a thread on it.

I was reminded of this bike after seeing @New Mexico Brant 's Indian offering at the swaps. His has beautiful original paint and that cool Indian badge. Very similar build otherwise. Mine is still hanging in the basement on the to-do list. I'm hanging on to it though and look forward to the rejuvenation one day.

Back