When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Westfield built Victory Bicycles D98 with 3-speed

-
It is a Person's Saddle, made in Worcester MA. The stamp on the side, sadly not preserved, is an elaborate design with two lions supporting a shield. There was probably a stamped badge on the back at one point, rather fragile openwork spelling out the word PERSONS. Some little bits of it are sometimes preserved, like part of the S.

The nose hardware is very similar to Brooks, but the cantle plate is a different shape, and the way the rails is attached is also pretty different. If we want to be pedantic about it, there are only two wires.

Thanks, Juvela, for alerting me to this. I rarely check in with The Cabe, I know, I know. --Rudi

It is a Person's Saddle, made in Worcester MA. The stamp on the side, sadly not preserved, is an elaborate design with two lions supporting a shield. There was probably a stamped badge on the back at one point, rather fragile openwork spelling out the word PERSONS. Some little bits of it are sometimes preserved, like part of the S.

The nose hardware is very similar to Brooks, but the cantle plate is a different shape, and the way the rails is attached is also pretty different. If we want to be pedantic about it, there are only two wires.

Thanks, Juvela, for alerting me to this. I rarely check in with The Cabe, I know, I know. --Rudi

Thank you for the info. I'm going to take a close look at the sides for any traces of the stamping.

Beautiful bike 3-speeder! I notice on both sides of the handlebars near the stem there is what appears to be leather wrap? Can someone explain it's purpose ?
Regards, Steve

Beautiful bike 3-speeder! I notice on both sides of the handlebars near the stem there is what appears to be leather wrap? Can someone explain it's purpose ?
Regards, Steve
My theory on the leather wrap is that it was used as a second place to grab the bars? It looks like an old golf club or tennis racket grip held down with a heavy layer of glue.

What I like about this bike is that it's an American-made lightweight/utility type bike set up for extra performance. Somebody was serious about getting a bit more performance out of this bike back in the day, which would have been quite rare at that time. The three-speed set up and the Philco type add-on brakes are great to have, and were well-constructed. The Phillips flip-flop hub is really cool, and another well-made item. Even when bikes were being used for utility purposes during the second war, most were set up for very basic performance - a single speed with a coaster brake or similar. Sometimes you see a Sturmey AW from right before the war being used, which is a nice touch. On this particular bike, someone really put in the extra money for something with a little more "go" behind it. There aren't too many like this around, in large part because there weren't too many like this around back then.

What I like about this bike is that it's an American-made lightweight/utility type bike set up for extra performance. Somebody was serious about getting a bit more performance out of this bike back in the day, which would have been quite rare at that time. The three-speed set up and the Philco type add-on brakes are great to have, and were well-constructed. The Phillips flip-flop hub is really cool, and another well-made item. Even when bikes were being used for utility purposes during the second war, most were set up for very basic performance - a single speed with a coaster brake or similar. Sometimes you see a Sturmey AW from right before the war being used, which is a nice touch. On this particular bike, someone really put in the extra money for something with a little more "go" behind it. There aren't too many like this around, in large part because there weren't too many like this around back then.
Well said

This is what a well preserved Persons saddle looks like (not mine; photo from the web:(

P1020528.jpg

I have one in reasonably good condition, and two or three that need new leather. I've been working on reproducing the stamp, but (as you can see from the photo above) the stamp involves some complicated artwork.

This is what a well preserved Persons saddle looks like (not mine; photo from the web:(

View attachment 908363

I have one in reasonably good condition, and two or three that need new leather. I've been working on reproducing the stamp, but (as you can see from the photo above) the stamp involves some complicated artwork.
Oh wow. That is a nice looking saddle. Yeah, nothing left of a stamp on mine. I double checked.

Back