When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940/1941 Excelsior year/parts opinions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Andy FitzGibbon

Finally riding a big boys bike
This bike was my dad's (he bought it used in the 70s). The crank and rear Morrow hub are both dated 1940, so I'm leaning that direction in terms of the year, but I welcome opinions as I don't know Schwinns. Serial number E82244.

It's pretty original, except for the saddle, bars and chainwheel, and the Cycle Lock is still functional. I plan to clean it up, service it, and ride it as-is for now. I have a set of bars that I think are correct, a saddle that's close, a correct chainwheel on the way, and I'm hunting for the right feather chain guard. Opinions on what I should be looking for in those parts are also welcome. The 1940 catalog shows 1" pitch chain and a sweetheart sprocket, but I'm told 1/2" was used as well, and I think I'll stay with that.

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks to members here, I've got the correct chain guard and chain wheel on the way. If anyone has a patina'd Mesinger B1 saddle, give me a shout...

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks to advice and parts from members here, the bike is now back on the road. I re-laced the wheels, replaced the bearings, tires and chain, rebuilt the headlight, and added correct original seat, bars, and sprocket. The primered chain guard is a placeholder for now... I may rattle-can it black to make it blend in a little better, until the correct chrome one shows up.

It's fun to ride. Thanks to everyone who helped out with parts and/or knowledge.

Andy

I guess we should make it 3 that have shown up recently. This is the tall boy 20” BA98-OS version. I picked up this guy recently and need to grab a guard for it. Needs some serious paint refurbishing but it should come back very nice. I do have the correct seat for it too. Definitely cool bikes

Last edited:
I guess we should make it 3 that have shown up recently. This is the tall boy 20” BA98-OS version. I picked up this guy recently and need to grab a guard for it. Needs some serious paint refurbishing but it should come back very nice. I do have the correct seat for it too. Definitely cool bikes
At least you have paint left to refurbish! I did a light wipe of Penetrol on mine, which worked really well. Brought what's left of the color out, without making it too glossy or "wet" looking.

Back