When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 4-gill western flyer

-
Nice work cleaning that bike up. I had the same bike and they ride really nice with the taller than normal head tube. Just a little bigger frame than normal. Didn't Tailwinds just purchase that same bike on eBay a couple months back?

Any how, great bike.

I had a set of really nice original persons majestics on my 4 gill WF. And they looked killer on the bike.

Nice work cleaning that bike up. I had the same bike and they ride really nice with the taller than normal head tube. Just a little bigger frame than normal. Didn't Tailwinds just purchase that same bike on eBay a couple months back?

Any how, great bike.

I had a set of really nice original persons majestics on my 4 gill WF. And they looked killer on the bike.

The fork has a lot of play specially when turning. It Could be that the springs are worn out? I purchased the bike from Tailwinds.

What I did to correct that was add two small washers one on each side on the inner fork lower bolts.

Nothing to do with springs.

The fork arms that attached the front wheel, those large bolts one on either side that thread horizontally. Place a thin washer on the inner part, you will not see it and it will eliminate side ways play. Fork itself is probably in my opinion the best springer made to withstand the weigh of an adult and not bottom out. Great forkd if there adjusted and maintained.

Last edited:
Between the arm and the upper part? Please see the photo where I pointed the pen.

byhydame-1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome find. I love the look of the dual headlights. That fork is interesting. Overall cool bike!

loose fork arm

that bolt is a shoulder bolt , if it is tight I have seen some of them with a thin brass washer for a shim

Ahhh, I owned her for a minute! Looks terrific after the cleanup, it was worth the hard work!
I love the 4-Gill bikes, alas, maybe one will find me again in the future.

Ahhh, I owned her for a minute! Looks terrific after the cleanup, it was worth the hard work!
I love the 4-Gill bikes, alas, maybe one will find me again in the future.

You didn't owning long enough Talewinds.

Back