When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940-41 Big Tank Dayton

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Even for a non-Schwinn that's pretty sweet! Can't wait to get started on mine--make sure you get some 'glass copies of the tank made. V/r Shawn

Looks amazing

Looks mighty fine! Nicely done, the patience you had was impressive and most importantly it paid off!

Tank

You know Brad, that's a great question. we're getting ahead of where I'm at on this subject. I've been focussed on the Streamlines and what's correct and haven't gotten into the subtle nuances of the Mainliner and Champion line. I'm really looking forward to getting this all hammered out, and in fact I have had a discussion with Nate about us going through the learning process together. perhaps I should start a thread and invite anyone interested in delving deeper to join the discussions. for now my answer has to be that the Firestone ads do not mention color for that model in that year. The Huffman catalog does list color options but not silver and red. I sadly do not have the Dayton catalog so I not sure what the options were. Silver and red were used by Firestone, but we can't say for sure if this is the case on your bike.
the no head badge thing would be a good indication that it was a big tank bike, but there were Champions built without tanks and I'm not sure about them.
I do have this for you, it's the original paint Front Flex fork on the 1940 Twin-Flex that's coming.
dayton_027.JPG

Are you willing to part with the "Wrong Tank" ? I could use it on my own Elgin resto.
253-249-6337

more updates.
I haven't kept this thread updated very well.
some investigations and I determined that my bike is a 1941 and the tank I worked so hard to get was a 1940. I worked out a trade for the proper tank and got it to the primer stage. also found a light and bracket, (Thanks Shawn and Don)

IMG_2811_zps77f18240-1.jpg

went to the local paint store here in town and had the paint on the original chain guard matched. I think they did a pretty good job.

IMG_2850_zps39d6643f-1.jpg

installed the tank on the bike. fitted the horn button and light switch, everything is looking good. now I need to get it striped. from there the final wiring and stuff and a little distressing and it will finally be done.

IMG_2857_zps821bcef2-1.jpg

Back