When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 '41 Murray ELGIN

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have sprayed a coat of flat, no sheen, laquer on some metal parts with success, you never need to reapply.

Thanx for the compliments and good advice . I was actually going to BOIL some linseed oil . Then I saw stuff called "boiled linseed oil ". Felt like Homer Simpson at the orange k-mart. So it wasn't to much so I bought a can. I clear coated fenders before and they scratched really easy . Leaving an ugly mark . Bikes all broken down right now , and inside house. I'm woking on the wheels right now . I'll post updated pic's of progress . Michael / Dodgerblue...

Heres an update on Elgin wheels i'm working on . I have an extra hoop , and some spokes , so I decided to try an lace em up . I'm pretty sure I did one side right but when I flipped rim over and did other side it just doesn't look right . Spokes are really loose cause i'ts only practice . First attempt at im sure many more . Can anyone tell me what if anything i'm doing wrong ? Thank you . Michael / Dodgerblue ...
20150819_161851.jpg

Bike looks great! But yeah your wheel building is way off. Just keep a built wheel close by and study it closely.

I'm a patient man but I tried lacing once, and will never try again. Absolutely got the best of me and I couldn't wait to have the bike shop do it.

I think it looks great. How did you get the metal to look so shiny and smooth? It's a great bike either way you go, but I've always been a sucker for bare metal bikes. It's a great alternative to paint. Many times when trying to remove layers of house paint only to find no OG paint underneath, I would strip the entire bike to bare metal. But it sucks when there's no OG paint left. Anyway, great bike you have there. Rob.

Yes , spokes are 10 5/8 " . Are you saying both sides are wrong ? Do I need to take all apart , start over ? Thanx alot ...

Looked again at the pic, does look like both sides are only crossed 1x.
Assuming that the first 2 steps (1: heads-out right flange, 2: heads-out left flange) are correct you should be able to take nipples off the heads-in spokes, rotate the hub forward, then choose any heads-in spoke and cross it over 4 heads-out and be back on track.

Looked again at the pic, does look like both sides are only crossed 1x.
Assuming that the first 2 steps (1: heads-out right flange, 2: heads-out left flange) are correct you should be able to take nipples off the heads-in spokes, rotate the hub forward, then choose any heads-in spoke and cross it over 4 heads-out and be back on track.

I think I have it , after a couple more attempts . Yes I wasn't crossing 4 over . I compared with some built ups on another bike and they look just like other wheels . So if they are still wrong i'll never get it . Comments welcome .
20150826_183456.jpg
20150826_183515.jpg

Back