When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940-41? Schwinn Packard

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
Hi Guys, I'm new here though I have been reading this board once and a while for a few years. There are a lot of great projects going in here. I'm glad to be here.

I have just pulled my old Schwinn out of storage, and am hoping you guys can tell me when it was built and what model it is... or was.

NdMq6cJ.jpg

This was my bike when I was growing up. I had an unidentified 24" ballooner before the Schwinn, and it hooked me on balloon tired bikes. They were had to come by. When I got the Schwinn in the 70s, it was wrecked and incomplete. I rebuilt it three times, and put gobs of miles on it. The first two times I had it cream colored with red trim, and the last time I put it back to the original red with white trim. Back in the day, after poring through all the old catalogs down at the Schwinn shop where it was probably sold new, I was convinced it was a 1939 model. I doubt that now. The serial number is F71444.

HJ8csdA.jpg

Edit: More pictures...

URgDPDD.jpg

FhIM6Ew.jpg

Lsl0ARa.jpg

ube1LVP.jpg

o3LGWQi.jpg

UC0LMbr.jpg

ezSFkLj.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Sweet ride! The Hi-Flange front hub are big pluses! You ought to swap out that Murray chain ring for a classic clover leaf Schwinn ring, and get another ww tire on there! :) Also, the chain guard is a Wald universal. I'm not an expert on these, but I'm sure some of them here can weigh in on the year. Very cool that you've kept it all those years! Personally, I still have my '57 Schwinn Corvette, that I bought at a garage sale, 40 years ago this summer!

No way telling what the actual model was as this point. There were a few models that used the straight bar frames from the stripped down model to the Auto-Cycle Deluxe. 1940 frame with a post war springer? Are you going to get back on the road? ;)

Thank you! I didn't know the chainring was Murray. I was pretty sure it wasn't Schwinn. It reminds me of JCHiggins. The chainguard is Western Flyer. It used to be chrome. The last (3rd) time I re-did the bike I painted it because I believe the Schwinn ones were painted, and I also wanted to plug all the extra holes because it was a universal fit thing.

The bike, as i mentioned, was incomplete and wrecked. Even though I was actively looking for a 26 inch ballooner the first time I saw it I didn't take it seriously.

The parts you see that were with it when i found it are the frame, spring fork (except the cross bolt), all the steering bearings and hardware, the stem, the crank, bearings, and "Murray" chainring, the back fender and probably the stays, and both wheels, with Lobdell rims (except the front axle).

The parts you see that definitely were not with it are the handlebars and grips, the front fender and stays, the tires, the chainguard, the saddle (and probably the post).

I doubt the pedals were with it.

One thing that seems odd to me: the spokes in the rear wheel. They are not double butted like the front wheel. Did Schwinn ever do that? Coaster brake is New Departure. I expected to see an oil cup on it and there isn't one. Does that make it newer?

No way telling what the actual model was as this point. There were a few models that used the straight bar frames from the stripped down model to the Auto-Cycle Deluxe. 1940 frame with a post war springer? Are you going to get back on the road? ;)

That was the plan. I was about to ask if it were possible for it to have been built as the stripped down model and still have a spring fork. I never suspected the springer of being postwar. What is it about the springer that makes it postwar?

and get another ww tire on there!

I was just looking at that, but earlier today I have already ordered blackwalls. It doesn't look as good up close as it does in that picture, but I gotta admit it looks good. I probably should have got whitewalls.

I didn't put that whitewall on there, and I don't know who did. The whole time I was riding it, it had the same Western Flyer blackwalls on it that i got for the original rebuild. They were a period looking tread pattern, but were disappointing because they were a bit undersize. One of them is still on the back.

Nice start! Those lobdells look like they’d clean up pretty decent, and be a expensive set of wheels if you buy a porkchop for it along with the shoes. This would probably be the correct chainring for your bike and if its a 41 you could look for a deluxe guard or a relatively easy to find feather guard.

BEING THE LOCKING FORK GUY, I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE FORKS.
THE FORK IS A 1938-40 LOCKING SPRING FORK. THE LOBDELL RIMS WERE USED BY
SCHWINN ON DELUXE MODELS IN 1941. MAYBE SOONER?
AND OF COURSE THE CYCLELOCK NEEDS A KEY AND OR LOCK REPAIR.

Last edited:
49autocycledeluxe said:
your bike has a drum brake up front with all the guts missing.

Yes, It probably isn't usable, but maybe there's a chance. it was bent. For the first few years I had the bike, the drum side wobbled maybe 3/8" or more. During the 2nd or third rebuild, I took all the spokes out and straightened the hub in a press. It may be true enough to use now, or might need to be ground or something. I never found a porkchop for it or even knew that was what it was called back then. The original axle was bent. I straightened it, but it was also stripped. I got away with running a nylock for about a year but then it wouldnt hold anymore. It has some probably metric axle for some european bike in there now. Probably loose balls too but I cant remember. Too long since it was apart. The axle is slightly bigger.

I understand there at least 2 versions of that brake prewar and I don't even know about postwar. Can you tell what I have?

Back