When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940-41? Schwinn Packard

-
Nice start! Those lobdells look like they’d clean up pretty decent, and be a expensive set of wheels if you buy a porkchop for it along with the shoes. This would probably be the correct chainring for your bike and if its a 41 you could look for a deluxe guard or a relatively easy to find feather guard.

Someone said it's 40 because of the serial number, but wouldn't it have to be really late 40 because of the Lobdells? I may be shopping for at least one at some point. I know one of them is clobbered and I can't remember about the other one. It is usable, but has insane tension on some of the spokes, and hardly any on others, at least thats what I remember. I had an early mountain bike at one point. The frame broke, I kept the rims because they look a lot like Lobdells, and I figured the Lobdells might be beyond help. No internet then. I need to decide how deep I am going to dig in, but would like to collect whats missing either way... at least if it turns out that most of the parts I have are the same year.

I have another similar bike all in pieces, or at least i did. It may be a year or 2 older. When I drug the bike this thread is about home, I couldn't find the frame. I hope it is still around. Sometime soon I will post a thread about that one.

Last edited:
BEING THE LOCKING FORK GUY, I AM FAMILIAR WITH THE FORKS.
THE FORK IS A 1938-40 LOCKING SPRING FORK. THE LOBDELL RIMS WERE USED BY
SCHWINN ON DELUXE MODELS IN 1941. MAYBE SOONER?
AND OF COURSE THE CYCLELOCK NEEDS A KEY AND OR LOCK REPAIR.

Thank you! I found one of your postings the other day. I will be contacting you sometime soon about the cyclelock. I have 2 of them, the other is in a truss fork for a Schwinn maybe one or 2 years older.

Looks like the crank is a 41.

v8nhmkj.jpg

Well... It looks like I am lacing a wheel.

I built a dishing stick the other day and checked to see if the rims were centered. The front one was pretty good. The back on the other hand was off by a lot. It needs to move about 8mm to the drive side. Looking closer I noticed some err... anomalies. On the drive side the spoke heads all point the same way. Looking even closer, it is laced cross 3 on the drive side, and cross 4 on the brake arm side. Spokes are interlaced. They are not double butted.

What the %^&* ????

3BrfuR2.jpg

How did this look in 1941? Were they double butted spokes? How many flats on the nipples? Four here, but only 2 on the front wheel. Would the spokes have been galavanized? Cad? Black?

Hub is a New Departure, but has no engraving on the housing and no oil cap. It is silver in color. The arm is the big one and is stamped "New Departure Brake" with the 2 lines. It is black. The dust cover and sprocket retention nut are black. Sprocket has 19 teeth. I'm guessing none of that is original. Comments?

Other than a New Departure Model D, what else could it have had? Morrow? Schwinn expander brake and freewheel? Anything else?

It's about time for an update on this. I bought keys for the cyclelock from Wes, and after soaking in oil for a while, the lock cylinder works fine. It does not lock. I never had a key for this, and didn't really understand how it was supposed to work. You can't normally take the key out with it unlocked, but I was riding it like that for years. As it turns out the sliding bolt is broken, and most of it is missing.

moa02Jn.jpg

The steer tube was bent. Although allegedly straightened years ago, it wasn't even close. I straightened it by shrinking with a torch, and then checking in a lathe. After so many attempts I lost count, it finally ran true in the lathe. The cones in the headset were also broken, and after getting a whole pile of them on ebay, all of which turned out to be wrong, some helpful CABErs came through with parts that fit. After assembling it, I found out that the steer tube was still not quite perfectly straight. Two more shrinkings and it ran perfectly true. The bump at the bottom of the steer tube was undersize and would not hold the fork race solid. Schwinn apparently made the bump with brass, and I could have duplicated it but didn't want to risk warping the steer tube, so I made a shim.

xiXLZyM.jpg

By the time I got the steer tube straight, I had burned up the visible part of the paint. I had originally planned to re-restore the whole bike, but the bike has just been apart too long. I decided to postpone paint, and getting the cyclelock fixed, and just put it back together. A rattle can fixed the burned paint for now.

ylVvlrt.jpg

Yes, it is. I just looked for a picture and I was surprised to find I don't have one of the other side, and now the crank is back in the bike. However, back in mid November when BWbiker asked in another thread about the markings on 1939 Schwinn cranks, I posted pics of my 39 crank and wrote the following:

"Here's my 39 (40?) Excelsior's crank. No part number (but it is a 7" dogleg crank, so 501). The flat boss on the opposite side is blank, but on my 41 Packard (another 501 crank that is not marked 501), it says AS&CO there."

The two cranks were laying beside each other on my dresser at the time.

Last edited:
Back