When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Colson

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Just sharing some before and after images of a 1940 Colson ladies snap tank which I finally had the time to rehab this week. She was a true barn find as you can see from the images. I found her without a tank and a friend had this non-matching blue one to fill-in until I can someday find a matching maroon tank (anyone have one??). I believe every single washer, bolt and nut is original to this bike except the tank. It was also missing the chain adjusters and dropstand pins. Other than that, every washer went back in it's place after cleaning and greasing. The tires that were on it (Continentals) were in decent shape but I really wanted some Carlisle white walls so it would match my own boys snap tank.

Before anyone asks, it's linseed oil and not clear coat.
View attachment 925589

View attachment 925590

View attachment 925591

View attachment 925592

View attachment 925593

View attachment 925594

View attachment 925595

View attachment 925596

View attachment 925597

View attachment 925598

View attachment 925599

View attachment 925600

View attachment 925601

View attachment 925602

View attachment 925603

View attachment 925604

View attachment 925605

View attachment 925606

View attachment 925607

View attachment 925608
Uuuuuuuyyyyyy love both Nice looking bikes & good Cleaning job!!!! / Amigo.....:);):)

This bike is killer. Beautiful, respectful "clean-up" of this bike. I'm a big fan of boiled linseed oil for relics like this. Outstanding.

So what was your procedure for applying Boiled Linseed Oil , looks amazing, thx

Thanks for the kind words. The process is pretty simple. I tear bikes all the way down to the bare frame so I get every mm covered with the linseed. I clean everything really good with...I hate admitting this....a small amount of gasoline, including the painted parts of the bike. Best degreaser on the planet and I use a very small amount. Then I put on a vinyl glove, put an old sock on over that, soak one spot of the sock with the boiled linseed, and then just take my time massaging and rubbing it into the paint. I get every little nook and cranny by taking the sock off my hand and rubbing it into the cracks. That's really basically it. It gets that look everyone wants.

I know it says this in the directions on the linseed can but always wear gloves, always ventilate, and discard of the linseed socks/rags outside your house/garage. I actually suggest burning them. It smells absolutely terrible and it actually will combust if you throw a soiled linseed rag in a trash can and cover it up. My friend's trash caught on fire from the linseed rags basically becoming compost and getting hot. You'll hate the smell so bad the first time you use it that you'll swear to never use it again. But keep at it and the smell won't bother you, especially when you see the results.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words. The process is pretty simple. I tear bikes all the way down to the bare frame so I get every mm covered with the linseed. I clean everything really good with...I hate admitting this....a small amount of gasoline, including the painted parts of the bike. Best degreaser on the planet and I use a very small amount. Then I put on a vinyl glove, put an old sock on over that, soak one spot of the sock with the boiled linseed, and then just take my time massaging and rubbing it into the paint. I get every little nook and cranny by taking the sock off my hand and rubbing it into the cracks. That's really basically it. It gets that look everyone wants.

I know it says this in the directions on the linseed can but always wear gloves, always ventilate, and discard of the linseed socks/rags outside your house/garage. I actually suggest burning them. It smells absolutely terrible and it actually will combust if you throw a soiled linseed rag in a trash can and cover it up. My friend's trash caught on fire from the linseed rags basically becoming compost and getting hot. You'll hate the smell so bad the first time you use it that you'll swear to never use it again. But keep at it and the smell won't bother you, especially when you see the results.

Good luck!
Thx for the info !

Back