When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 CWC All American

-

Chris G

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

I am new to The CABE and also in the UK so am struggling to find information on what I think is a 1940 CWC All American bicycle that I have just found at my Dad's place which I am clearing out. Dad has a large collection of veteran cycles including Ordinaries, Safeties, Quadrants, Boneshakers etc. but also a Columbia shaft drive and other American machines that he picked up during his many holidays in Virginia in the 80s and 90s.

The CWC is disassembled but pretty much complete including its 'Shockmaster' forks and I want to put it back together and ride it. The frame number is G71098 which I think suggests that it was built in the second half of 1940 although it has the drop 'ears' at back of the frame that I thought indicated pre-war. I have tried to research CWCs and it seems that there were lots of variations and sales through different retailers might have different additions or specifications.

I would appreciate any advice on what model it is, whether it would have had a tank originally, what size tyres it should have, where can I buy the correct crank bearings, could I 'retro-fit' a tank and, if so, where can I get a good used one from?

Thank you.

Chris

CWC frame.jpg

CWC headstock forks and badge.jpg

CWC frame number.jpg

CWC chainwheel.jpg

CWC chain guard.jpg

Hey Chris glad to see you made it! The tires are standard balloon tires 26 x 2.125 on drop center rims. I believe the bearings for these are standard size as well and easy to come by. The tank looks like it would be a three gill tank and these aren't terribly difficult to locate. Run some wanted ads here. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Thank you for your messages. Will I need to find a 3 Gill tank specific to a CWC All American or are they an accessory that would fit a number of frames / makes? Sorry to ask these questions but it is all new to me as I have only worked on British bikes to date! Chris

Hi,

Thank you. I'm in the UK and this is my first American bike project but I just love the look of them and particularly those with tanks like yours. My bike has the Shockmaster sprung forks and is pretty much complete but came to me without a tank so if you come across one please let me know.

We even struggle to get the whitewall tyres in the UK and now I have seen your white tyres and definitely want to get some as they would be pretty much unique over here. I was going to restore the original fenders (mudguards over here) and get a rear rack but the stripped back look of yours is pretty cool. Does this style have a name?

Regards.

Chris

Hi,

Thank you. I'm in the UK and this is my first American bike project but I just love the look of them and particularly those with tanks like yours. My bike has the Shockmaster sprung forks and is pretty much complete but came to me without a tank so if you come across one please let me know.

We even struggle to get the whitewall tyres in the UK and now I have seen your white tyres and definitely want to get some as they would be pretty much unique over here. I was going to restore the original fenders (mudguards over here) and get a rear rack but the stripped back look of yours is pretty cool. Does this style have a name?

Regards.

Chris

Over here we call these klunkers or ratrods or such....just nice heavy riders with a somewhat stripped look.....parts here are readily available.....tanks for your model are common enough....although year and model specific...use this site for research.......and parts......tyres on ebay or amazon......cheep.
Chris

However,
Fenders and racks, lights give it a classic look, so.....if you have the parts .....have fun with it.

Back