When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 (?) Elgin just picked up my first pre-war bike!

-
Congrats! Heres mine for reference. I believe they are close to the same age and bikes. Mine is badged Elgin

E4ABD00E-2A61-4658-B5B6-DABECD152B46.jpeg

Welcome and congrats on a very cool ride. It looks quite straight and has lots of potential to take it further if you wish. The long tank is attractive and those handle bars may very likely be the stock 1/2 moon Torringtons that came on the bike. The rack and chain guard look factory as well and are in good shape. You should have no problem finding out more info and correct parts and tips from Cabers. It probably had a front loading delta fender light. We are a helpful bunch and share and admire your enthusiasm on the Elgin.

Don't think that tank came out till 40 and 41 came out with the curved seat stay style frame. Murry built as said ( biggest giveaway is the tank! ), most everything looks OG except seat & pedals, can't see the grips to good and not really sure about the stem & missing light, Great project, just change the seat & pedals and make it a rider!

Last edited:
My ‘39 has straight bars like the bike @jimmythefly pictures; same chainguard, chainring, and rack, but I don’t have the tank.
Good to know! I was really wondering about the chainguard, most of them I see in pics are longer and extend back to overlap the seat stay at the dropout. I wondered if it was original or not.

The rear plate is from Juneau Alaska, 1978. And the sticker on the head tube says CITY OF JUNEAU POLICE DEPT. 0052.

0052 is a pretty low number, I presume this is some sort of registration number, but I guess it could be the bike was confiscated and auctioned off or something and the number is just for inventory of any police property. I'll do some digging.

Elgin 1979 plate.jpg

Elgin Juneau head tube sticker.jpg

Back