When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 (?) Elgin just picked up my first pre-war bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jimmythefly

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I just purchased this locally, and I'm pretty excited to have my first pre-war bike! I'd be happy to learn more and please correct me on anything I say below. I've got a lot of experience with bikes in general, however stuff this old is all new to me. It rides OK, the brake drags a bit when coasting, front hub is loose, and the headset is a bit loose too.

First order of busines is I need some truss rods for the fork! After that not sure what I'll do with it, I have a zillion questions.

Elgin DS.jpg

Elgin NDS.jpg

BB is stamped SC70250.
Rear hub shell is stamped E□ (square), which I take to mean it was made in the 3rd quarter of 1939. (based on this post by @J-wagon https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/l...-a-possible-elgin-bicycle.205493/post-1402512)

My understanding from doing a search here on the forum is that this particular fork crown indicates a Murray-built bike. And also the monostay (also seen it called hourglass) style seat stay treatment is also Murray (as opposed to Westfield).

I'm guessing 1940, but not positive. I would love to nail down the exact year, parts spec, and paint/finish it would have originally come from the factory with.

Is there an SE or SD stamped into the BB? I have a 1940 Elgin with the. MOD502 Sears code (Murray built) along with a model number and a unique serial number. On a separate line is the SE stamp - rather small. The ‘39 has a pretty bold SD stamped into the BB.

Is there an SE or SD stamped into the BB? I have a 1940 Elgin with the. MOD502 Sears code (Murray built) along with a model number and a unique serial number. On a separate line is the SE stamp - rather small. The ‘39 has a pretty bold SD stamped into the BB.
Nope. I checked everywhere else on the BB shell (and rubbed off the grease and dirt in the below pic too), no other markings.
I also looked at the head tube, fork crown, cluster near the seatpost clamp, and the rear fork ends and didn't see markings in those places.

Elgin BB stamp.jpg

I'm curious how much is original. The bars are quite narrow and will absolutely have to be changed for me to be able to ride it. The bars, stem, seatpin, and crankarms are silver painted -was that kind of finish used back then instead of chrome -perhaps on lower-end models?

I can also see differences in the chainguard on my bike compared to others. And of course the saddle, pedals, grips are suspect.
Personally I think it needs some pinstripes or something, not a fan of the big plain white tank and plain red frame, especially with the white rims too.

Back