When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940? Elgin project restoration

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rustyman

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum after picking up this bicycle which from pictures and headbadge I believe to be a 1940 Elgin. At first I was going to restore it, but the more I looked at it I think I might just leave it the way it is (cosmetically) and get it up and running (new tires, chain,grease bearings or replace them)
188548221_1641365239394034_8431365978330944145_n.jpg
. This poor bike was left in a very damp environment to rust in peace for a long time. I think I am going to give it a light sanding to knock off the scale and maybe shoot some clear on it and enjoy! If any one on here has parts for this old girl I would love to put her back on the road! Thanks in advance. rustyman

188341154_1641365226060702_7733392823428922132_n.jpg

The best thing to do IMHO, is service the bearings etc, and get your butt in the seat!

IF you want to get rid of the surface rust AND you're willing to disassemble the bike, consider letting everything soak in an oxalic acid bath for a while. The rust will come off but you'll need to rinse in a solution of baking soda to remove a greenish residue that will be left.

One thing I'll mention, judging from the pictures, I would think that the chain is probably still salvagable too. Otherwise, to get a replacement chain will cost you $50 or so for a used chain, and for a new old stock one, why I bet that could be $100 or more. They don't make one inch pitch chain anymore, which is what your bike uses. To recondition your chain, you could soak it in white vinegar for a day or two, until the rust residue scrubs off. Then soak in a baking soda solution for a couple of days to neutralize the vinegar, scrub with steel wool to remove rust residue, oil and check that all of the parts are free and moving, and ready to go!

Adding to Carolina Ramblers great advice on the chain. If it's got frozen links consider a long, week or more, soak in heavy 75-90 gear oil. It will do amazing things with a completely frozen chain, of course it stinks. It can save a really crusty chain, just buy quart and pour it in a tupperware with a lid to keep the smell down in the garage or basement.;)

A soak in Simple Green can also clean up light rust and free up links but if soaked too long it will also remove any bluing that might be left.

A 50:50 solution of ATF and acetone is a good rust buster; much less expensive tha Evaporust and works just as well.

Back