When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sold 1940 Excelsior Autocycle deluxe

-
If this helps any. I restored the bicycle roughly 6 or 7 years back for a So Cal collector with high standards and exceptional taste.
The parts that were acquired for the build were all "top shelf" ....no "maybe it's real" parts. Original Speedometer unit, fender bomb
etc etc. No corners cut.

An interesting note. The bike originally surfaced in Florida and 'as found' had the early version Rear drum brake on board. Over the
many years of collecting I had always resisted restoring PRE 1940 Autocycles, with the early rear brake, figuring only the
Superior and Paramount bicycles featured the early rear brake. This bike blew the doors off that assumption and was
stock with a very unusual (as shown above) 4 hole "Sawblade" front sprocket. Same stamping as the deluxe Autocycle/
Motorbike sprockets.... where A and B side are the same and the teeth ring is recessed by an 'edge' (unlike standard
4 hole sprockets which are flanged) ... Since then I have seen One other prewar (pre 1940) Schwinn with this sprocket and the rear brake.
Unusual to say the least. By 1940 the rear expander brake was common on the Super Deluxe line as well as standard
Autocycles.
Very nice bicycle with top shelf parts!
Excellent Job Bob.Just Wow!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is the bike, as I originally found it in Florida, in February of 2013, before Bob did His Magic ! The elderly gentleman I purchased it from had owned it as a boy in Illinois. He kept it his entire life, and brought it with him when he moved to Florida. It was very hard for him to part with it. As I did not even take possession of the bike, it is literally a two-owner bike. Incredible work Bob, and good luck to the seller; worth every penny !

88CD5213-593A-421A-B43A-FDBF0CDD860B.jpeg

(funny note: the seller was elderly and convinced it was a “1938 Schwinn Phantom.” I did not try to dissuade him)

pictures tell the story hanging tank excelsior badge pogo seat front rear pork chop/drum brake, fender bomb, cross bar speedo, ea buttons, Seiss aluminum dual lights, locking fork w/key, nos G-3 ww airwheel tires, nos original Torrinton 10 pedals, chrome rack chain guard View attachment 1035680

View attachment 1035681

View attachment 1035682

View attachment 1035683

View attachment 1035684

View attachment 1035685

View attachment 1035686

View attachment 1035687

View attachment 1035688

View attachment 1035689

View attachment 1035690

View attachment 1035691

View attachment 1035692

View attachment 1035693

View attachment 1035694

View attachment 1035695

restored $14,500 plus freight and insurance local pu ok pm questions do not post on listing please
BEAUTIFUL BIKE!

This is the bike, as I originally found it in Florida, in February of 2013, before Bob did His Magic ! The elderly gentleman I purchased it from had owned it as a boy in Illinois. He kept it his entire life, and brought it with him when he moved to Florida. It was very hard for him to part with it. As I did not even take possession of the bike, it is literally a two-owner bike. Incredible work Bob, and good luck to the seller; worth every penny !
88CD5213-593A-421A-B43A-FDBF0CDD860B.jpeg.jpg

(funny note: the seller was elderly and convinced it was a “1938 Schwinn Phantom.” I did not try to dissuade him)

Its a crime that a bike this nice was repainted/restored-dam shame. This should have been preserved.

Bike was a total hack job repainted when found. Poorly rattle canned
from head to toe maybe hard to tell in the before pic...but pretty bad
It got the proper make over it deserved, and color choice was made by the new owner, and yes a
Genuine Schwinn color combo
Robins Egg/ Traverse green

Back