When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 Hiawatha info

-
While Mercury badged Murray longtanks are not that rare, the toolbox tanked models are. Even more so one badged as a Hiawatha. This is the first I've ever seen. I believe that's what Mark intended to focus on in this thread in hopes that someone has come across a Gambles ad picturing his bike. The biege Merc Pod bike in the link above was sold here a few years ago. I remember because I was very tempted...then it was gone.

While Mercury badged Murray longtanks are not that rare, the toolbox tanked models are. Even more so one badged as a Hiawatha. This is the first I've ever seen. I believe that's what Mark intended to focus on in this thread in hopes that someone has come across a Gambles ad picturing his bike. The biege Merc Pod bike in the link above was sold here a few years ago. I remember because I was very tempted...then it was gone.

Rare indeed. Maybe a certain Gambles Department Store in one region ordered some. Much like my Penco Pacemaker. Possibly only West Coast JcPennys and San Francisco stores in praticular? The tool box tanks I thought were on the early models. Hence, Mark what’s the serial on that bad boy? ;) Then we can start looking for Gambles ads for that certain year.

For the most part, toolbox tanked versions tend to be POD bikes, also characterized by a built in side stand. Most are badged Mercury, but others have been found including Goodyear. More standard models with a toolbox tank badged Elgin have popped up as well. I was not aware that is may be an early run thing. Maybe Mark's is earlier, say 37 or so.Good info @kreika !

"Full Boogie" 37 Goodyear badged Pod Bike off Dave's site.

http://www.nostalgic.net/bicycle290
1542385777937.png

This is a approximately a 1940 Murray built Gambles Hiawatha, there is a lot of info on the Elgin version and even a little on the Mercury & Western Flyer versions but nothing so far on the gambles Hiawatha Just wanted to see about the little things like handlebars gooseneck panels and seat. Thinking there should be more info out there with the Gambles department store View attachment 897511

View attachment 897512

View attachment 897513

View attachment 897514

View attachment 897515

catalogs
Cool tank!

I have only had Shelby built Hiawatha’s and those serial numbers never made much sense but this Murray/Hiawatha # is really different, G for Gambles?
7507FBB8-E10F-4709-B483-C7595CF20B78.jpeg

I have only had Shelby built Hiawatha’s and those serial numbers never made much sense but this Murray/Hiawatha # is really different, G for Gambles?View attachment 904180

Not what I expected for sure. Hoping since it was Murray built it’d have a serial we’d recognize. I’m going with you that the big G is Gambles. 925 must be its production number?

Reactions: mrg
Back