1940 Huffman National big tank

This ad disappears when logged in

npence

I live for the CABE
Jul 11, 2009
Marysville, United States
Wow never would of guessed that color combo under the rust. Looks awesome John.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Looks good John! Did it have a National decal on the tank? It would be nice to get a tracing of it so a decal could be made. Is this "barn fresh"? V/r Shawn

scrubbinrims

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 2, 2010
4900 New Kent Rd, Richmond, VA 23225, USA
Outstanding!
So looking at my box score from home, I got you down for 2 boys '40 lit tanks (unrestored Firestone + lit rack and a fully restored Dayton) this '41 National non-lit tank, and a complete '40 ladies file nose big tank amateur restoration (but all there).
Chris

Flat Tire

I live for the CABE
Feb 24, 2007
Blanchester, ohio United States
Great Job! Amazing the paint that was under that rust!
I've got a bike with the 'National' sticker on the tank, not that good a shape but shows most of the detail. Mine is a 41 tho with the indentation where the sticker goes.

cyclingday

Feb 24, 2008
Costa Mesa, California. United States
Wow!
John, you and Nick are proving to be the miracle workers. Niether of your bikes looked like there was much color left but you guys literally brought them back from the dead.
Outstanding preservation kudos to both of you guys.

John

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2011
San Diego
www.flickr.com
Outstanding!
So looking at my box score from home, I got you down for 2 boys '40 lit tanks (unrestored Firestone + lit rack and a fully restored Dayton) this '41 National non-lit tank, and a complete '40 ladies file nose big tank amateur restoration (but all there).
Chris
Hey Chris,
Somewhere around those numbers. But the girl’s bike is bare metal and being repainted now. And the bikes chrome is back from plating. I believe this bike is also a ’40 not a ’41. It has the welded on kickstand and no emboss on the tank. So I believe it is a ’40. But I am looking for a ’41 in the future.
Thanks for the compliments. No miracles, just chemicals.
John

bike

Feb 26, 2007
Bicycleland
ok please..

tell us how? I have a bike I do not want to ruin and I figure you only get one shot...
Thanks!

markivpedalpusher

Staff member
Nov 10, 2007
Mission Viejo, CA, United States
Wow!
John, you and Nick are proving to be the miracle workers. Niether of your bikes looked like there was much color left but you guys literally brought them back from the dead.
Outstanding preservation kudos to both of you guys.
I 2nd that for both of you guys. And the miracle is in the effort to bring the bikes back :cool:
Most poeple would never even try...

John

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2011
San Diego
www.flickr.com
The answer is here on the Cabe. I just read the post about rust removal with wood bleach (oxalic acid). Went to the hardware store spent $10.00, filled a large plastic bucket with water and the crystals, threw the parts in in there, woke up the next day and had a new bike. It did not even disturb the decals.
John

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
I've been considering doing that with my '37 Dayton motorbike but I kinda like it all crusty! V/r Shawn

37 D4-1.JPG

37 D4-4.JPG

37 D4-3.jpg

37 D4-2.JPG

El Roth

Finally riding a big boys bike
Jan 31, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Wow...bet u had huge smiles when it came out like that...I bet bunch of cabe guys are running to the hardware stores now..including me..lol

Gary Mc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jul 5, 2011
Buford GA
Great job John!!!!!!!!! I believe I remember somebody saying that bike needed to be bead blasted and primed before being sold, wonder what they think now?????? It is truly amazing how much paint can be brought back to life.

John

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2011
San Diego
www.flickr.com
I've been considering doing that with my '37 Dayton motorbike but I kinda like it all crusty! V/r Shawn
I have another mixture for rust that I am going to try out. Hydrogen peroxide, table salt, and white vinegar.
I am trying to bring back the paint as much as possible and then in select areas paint brush back the rust. At least that’s the plan so far.
John

John

I live for the CABE
Nov 14, 2011
San Diego
www.flickr.com
Great job John!!!!!!!!! I believe I remember somebody saying that bike needed to be bead blasted and primed before being sold, wonder what they think now?????? It is truly amazing how much paint can be brought back to life.
It would have been the wrong decision for sure.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture